Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Key Largo
ogre - 3/17/2009 9:20 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 7

Hey guy’s Some friends and I are going to Key Largo in July for a week. We are looking for info about the dive shops down there and who we should use and should not use. Can anyine give us some info and an idea of who or what we should stay away from.
Reefdiver1960 - 3/17/2009 11:01 AM
A good place to stay is Marina Del Mar. It’s a nice place, friendly people and a good location, right across from several dive boats. I hope you have a wonderful trip.
seafox - 3/17/2009 11:42 AM

Hi Ogre, I am suggesting the same info that I just did for Rob:

No use re inventing the wheel! :)

I have been diving this area for many years and I am quite familiar with the dive shops and the sites. A lot depends on the weather, as well as your level and limitions. If you have not made diving arrangements so far, I would highly recommend you check out: http://www.conchrepublicdivers.com/

Capt Gary who is owner is by far one the best operators in the keys. He is located nearby in Tavernier/Key Largo. He has nice 2 boats, right outside his shop which is very , very convenient, and experterly knows the keys and will take you to the best sites for your level of diving. His operation is safe, friendly and run very professionnaly.

Additinnally he has contacts for rental of beautiful, nearby, convenient and reasnonnably priced condos! http://www.opsuites.com/

Check him out, you wont be disapointed!

Good luck, safe diving and have fun!!!!!!!!

seafox

Hi Rob, I have been diving this area for many years and I am quite familiar with the dive shops and the sites. A lot depends on the weather, as well as your level and limitions.

If you have not made diving arrangements so far, I would highly recommend you check out: http://www.conchrepublicdivers.com/

Capt Gary who is owner is by far one the best operators in the keys. He is located nearby in Tavernier. He has 2 boats, right outside his shop which is very convenient, and experterly knows the keys. His operation is safe, friendly and run very professionnaly.

seafox
seafox - 3/17/2009 11:45 AM

Hi Ogre, I am suggesting the same info that I just did for Rob:

No use re inventing the wheel! :)

I have been diving this area for many years and I am quite familiar with the dive shops and the sites. A lot depends on the weather, as well as your level and limitions. If you have not made diving arrangements so far, I would highly recommend you check out: http://www.conchrepublicdivers.com/

Capt Gary who is owner is by far one the best operators in the keys. He is located nearby in Tavernier/Key Largo. He has nice 2 boats, right outside his shop which is very , very convenient, and experterly knows the keys and will take you to the best sites for your level of diving. His operation is safe, friendly and run very professionnaly.

Additinnally he has contacts for rental of beautiful, nearby, convenient and reasnonnably priced condos! http://www.opsuites.com/

seafox

malibu - 3/18/2009 1:26 PM

I have useed "Its a Dive" several times and I think they are great!!! They are located in the Marriot on Rt 1S. They are a very nice and professional group. You can go to any site and they will work with you to have the best diving times ever. I highly recommend them.
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/18/2009 1:57 PM

Ditto on Gary at Counch Republic, Ocean Divers is good but sometimes the boat is crowded.

If you venture south do not use Looe Reef Resort. 6 days a week they go to the same site, move 100’, move 100’ and call it a 3 tank dive. You can do it on 1 1/2 tanks. The crew is busy selling chicken dogs so don’t expect them to help you back aboard or watch your bubbles. Back at the dock the dive Nazi makes you stand in line to make sure you are not trying to steal her rental gear even if you didn’t rent gear.
RonCooley - 3/19/2009 12:05 AM
All the names mentioned are good, I’ve been there the last few years. I’ve dove with: It’s A Dive, Amy’s Amoray Dive Center, Conch Republic, & Rainbow Reef. I would recommend each of these. It’s A Dive & Amoray both use large pontoon boats that don’t take rough water well, but rough water is unusual in Key Largo. If the weather is bad I give the edge to Conch Republic & Rainbow Reef because of their bigger boats, otherwise just see who’s going where you want to dive & hitch a ride. It’s A Dive will cancel a trip if they can’t fill a boat, but if they do they make arrangements with Amy’s Amoray to take those who are signed up. (They are within 1/2 mile of each other.)

The Key Largo area is reported to have the greatest density of dive-shops in the world. This is good in that competition keeps them each trying to outdo each other with service. I haven’t experienced a "bad" shop or staff there & wouldn’t expect to. Go have fun!
CindyGullo - 3/20/2009 9:57 PM

A great place is Amy Slate’s Amoray Dive Resort. Everyone there is great.

www.amoray.com