Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

need recommendations for women bcd
dive_diva - 3/16/2009 11:43 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 15

I am ready to buy my first bcd! Any recommendations? What are the important features - besides looks :) ? Would greatly appreciate all advices

Mcgyver - 3/17/2009 12:26 AM

Diva,

Comfort and fit are key. The option for weight integrated obviously is also a big plus, and having an air2 on the end of the inflater hose is a benifit. The Scubapro Ladyhalk is in my opinion the best out there today. I use the Nighthawk (Male Version) it’s the best I’ve ever used. Granted Scubapro equipment is a little pricey, but you just can’t put a price tag on safety and comfort. Good luck.

Mcgyver

NitroxNick - 3/17/2009 5:04 PM
Where will you be diving? Cold water means a thicker wet suit, which means carrying more weight. Some BCs meant for warmer temps can’t hold enough weight if you’re wearing a 7mil.
Subscribed
dive_diva - 3/17/2009 6:02 PM

I will be diving in warm waters. My current wetsuit is 3/2 mm

Thanks again for all recommendations.
DM240897 - 3/17/2009 8:03 PM

Hi there,

Zeagle makes BCD’s that are tailor cut for women... Designed by women for women, you get anything better than that...

Mike Hansen
Repa - 3/18/2009 10:18 AM
I recommend Tusa Selene BCD too. Fits perfectly. I never regreted that i bought it.
ArchimedesPrinciple - 3/18/2009 10:30 AM
My wife has a Zeagle and loves it. She tried several and getting one that was comfortable in the chest area was a deciding factor
DiveGirl55 - 3/18/2009 11:01 AM
I wear the MARES KAILA from their SheDives collection and I LOVE IT!
ScubaTeve - 3/18/2009 11:35 AM
I see some great suggestions for BCDs. Checkout some of the on-line vendors (e.g. LiesurePro) and spot the equipment mentioned by some of the other contributors and also see some of the other models that might fit your style of diving. I have a weight integrated BCD for example but if I dive cold water, I would use a weight belt in any case. Once you have a few favorites you can check further; I generally will Google each for more info and also Google for BCD / Dive equipment reviews. I apologize for not having one handy to paste in but these are a great source of information and analysis usually by a range of divers with different styles.

Perhaps someone can paste in a review?
LarryG - 3/18/2009 4:06 PM
I’ve been diving for 2 years and have made about 60 dive. I bought a BC that is not weight intergrated. I use a dive belt, 14 lbs. Because of that I get a sore back during my dives because all of the weight is centered in my mid-section. This may not affect everyone like it does me (a younger diver may not have this problem), but it is something to consider.
RonCooley - 3/19/2009 12:30 AM
Although weight-integrated is optional for men, most women need weight integration because a weight belt holds the weights too high up their bodies. For proper trim, most women need their weights on their hips, not on their waist. For MOST women, weight integrated BCDs can put the weight where she needs it better than a weight belt.

It’s harder for a woman to buy a BCD than it is for a man because different women have float differently due to fat (that floats) being carried in different areas of their bodies. Because of this difference, trim is the biggest issue, with floatation & weighting located perfectly for one woman in a BCD that doesn’t work well for another woman. If possible, don’t buy a BCD you haven’t had a chance to dive with. 

That said, the Zeagle Zena seems to fit (comfort & trim) more women than most BCDs, so I would recommend you try a Zena. Also try 3-4 others to find WHICH WORKS FOR YOU. If you find one that is comfortable and where you don’t have to think about trim, that’s the BCD for you.
DiverDiva - 3/19/2009 2:14 AM

Highly recommend the Mares She dives line. Especially made for a woman, and designed specifically for women, not just sized down to make it look like a woman.

Fits well, and is true to size on their BCD and suits. Easy to control and weights are integrated in good places. Have not had a problem with weights coming out.
RAWalker - 3/19/2009 1:04 PM
My wife is a bigger than average woman and when I took her out shopping for her own BCD we found her choices in a design for women BC to be very limited in her size. She was using my Sherwood Tortuga BC during her OW training and decided she liked it more than anything else she tried on. It fit her well and she has used it since. The Tortuga is a hybrid back inflator and my suggest is either a hybrid back inflator or a true back inflator. I myself took the opportunity of my wife taking my BC to move on to a Backplate &Wing. This is a modular system that consists of a harness, mounting plate, wing and tank straps. It cam be kept very simple with what is referred to as a HOG harness or a Deluxe comfort harness which would have the releases found on a Jacket style BC. Each can have pocket added for storage. The advantage is it’s customizabilty, excellent in water trim charactistics and weigh distribution. This is normally not considered a beginners BCD but there are no reasons why not other than you will need help and guidance setting it up.
CindyGullo - 3/20/2009 10:01 PM
Me too. I have the Tusa Selena and love it. It’s comfortable and doesn’t ride up like a men’s BDC (even the small).