Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

New Divers Forum
scubaclay - 3/09/2009 1:03 PM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 19

I would like to start a new forum that is directed to new and newer divers, and their questions about diving. There are a lot of experienced divers, and instructors on divebuddy.com. I think that we could help answer some of the questions that new divers, and those who are interested in diving have.

This is a topic I have talked over with Greg, and we both feel that with the experience levels on divebuddy.com, we should be able to help those who are looking for honest answers.

What I would like for the newer divers, and would be divers to do is to ask their questions on line, and we will give them honest and sincere answers. No BS or smart answers allowed.
UWnewbee - 3/09/2009 1:38 PM
Nitrox..... Ins and outs,, certs,gear,tanks but on tanks once nitrox is added can it be used for plain ol air? cause i have 2 tanks, my g/f will be getting cert. this year and we will be sharing my tanks and equip. also i have 2 sherwood bruts are those nitrox useable and if so, can u use plain ol air in em? funny this formum started i was gonna contact you bout this clay lastnight.
Subscribed
scubaclay - 3/09/2009 3:15 PM

Dana,

First of all thanks for replying to my forum. The sherwood Brut is fantastic for nitrox, and can do up to 40 percent with out service, ( depending on how old they are) but cxan be servoiced to do nitrox. As far as tanks go once you have tanks cleaned for nitrox, you SHOULD use only nitrox in them. If you know your LDS has a good air system, sometimes you can use regular air. I have a clean side to my system so I can fill my nitrox tanks with air.
UWnewbee - 3/09/2009 3:40 PM

Ok I dont want to sound like a newbee,,, wait I am! whats a cleaner side? also what usually does getting certified involve? My tanks have been hydroed and vip’d but theyre 80c aluminum does that matter at all? and what mix should be for me? Im trying to get info to see if its worthy to get certified and the inns and outs before I go to my lds. Thanks Clay
Greg - 3/09/2009 5:09 PM
For future reference, there is a category in our forum called "New Diver Q&A". Thanks for helping to answer new diver related questions!
Indiana - 3/09/2009 5:14 PM
 Sounds like a good ideal.Its hard to find good advice about diving.Hope you can get it up and running.
divemaiden - 3/09/2009 5:14 PM

Hi Dana, I’m nitrox certified and wanted to respond to your 2nd question about % O2. My instructor said it’s a matter of personal choice, but he recommended 32-36%, and I find that 32% is optimal as it gives you the longest bottom time.
UWnewbee - 3/09/2009 5:23 PM
From divemaiden:

Hi Dana, I’m nitrox certified and wanted to respond to your 2nd question about % O2. My instructor said it’s a matter of personal choice, but he recommended 32-36%, and I find that 32% is optimal as it gives you the longest bottom time.
Thanks Jean
ConchDiver - 3/09/2009 9:18 PM

Nice idea, but the problem is that anyone with a little knowledge, and believe me, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, will want to add their 2 cents and a new or inexperienced diver will still not know who to listen to. Go to your local dive shop, take the course that you’re interested in and ask questions from the pros.
SCUBASMITTY - 3/09/2009 9:26 PM
Nice idea, but the problem is that anyone with a little knowledge, and believe me, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, will want to add their 2 cents and a new or inexperienced diver will still not know who to listen to. Go to your local dive shop, take the course that you’re interested in and ask questions from the pros.( end quote)

the BEST advice on this subject so far !

Painkiller - 3/09/2009 10:10 PM
Conch hit it on the head. You have to know your dive tables. Best way to do that? Take the class, it’s worth it. The different mixes the different lengths (and depths) you can go down to. For example with EAN 32 you can do 100 fsw for 30 min while with EAN 36 you can do 40 min at the same depth. You have to make sure you use the right dive table with the mix you are running. Personally I like Nitrox becuase I don’t dive deep and I can GENERALLY stay down a little longer with EAN.
Subscribed
scubaclay - 3/10/2009 12:56 PM

Dana,

A clean side to an air system, means that the air goes throu all of my filters (6) and is as clean as the o2 that I use to mix nitrox. To be nitrox certified a tank must have a current hydro, vip, and be o2 cleaned, if the mixing is to be done in the tank. It is always best to use a cleaned tank for nitrox because of the fire hazard in mixing. For further information you can call me or write to my other email account.

Clay
Subscribed
scubaclay - 3/10/2009 12:58 PM

Indiana,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Unlike others who only want to spread negative information.
Subscribed
scubaclay - 3/10/2009 1:00 PM
Your right a little knowledge is dangerous, that is why I am relying on the instructors to act like responsible persons and give responsible answers.
UWnewbee - 3/10/2009 1:08 PM
Ok,, I can see what is happening here,,, its aka the snowball effect. I wasnt asking about tables,or really any adivice to put myself or others in harm,, Basically I’m trying like I asked whats the perks of this??? I’m not running out and buy new gear just do this, and IF it seems worthy, maybe ill look into getting certified for nitrox,, which was another question I had, which pertained to The schooling, If it is a open water type or just sit in a room? cause maybe I will weigh the odds and Pay for a different cert. and judging the comments the way they were posted and Being a Certified Harley Davidson mechanic I take it you all take your vehicles,lawnmowers,snowblowers, etc. To a Qualified/Authorized Dealer? And in the sport of diving, If you see a diver having problems before or during a dive, Do you say "hm looks like youve got problems you better go to your dive shop and have it repaired" or do you try to help them if its a small unsophiticated problem? I wasnt looking for training,,, its called advice
Subscribed
scubaclay - 3/10/2009 1:19 PM

Dana,

Your questions and concerns are more than valid. As to why nitrox, let me say it like this, I do between 75 aand 150 dives a year, some times 5 or 6 dives a day. I find that nitrox 32 is great for making me feel good after that many dives in one day. (no Mdeical proof) All I know is that I felt the same way as you and so did Roxanne, until we started diving it. The feeling of well being is by far just a personal thing, bet when we dive in North Carolina they call it geezer gas. Hope you have enough information to help you make an informed decision.

Clay
UWnewbee - 3/10/2009 1:38 PM
From scubaclay:

Dana,

Your questions and concerns are more than valid. As to why nitrox, let me say it like this, I do between 75 aand 150 dives a year, some times 5 or 6 dives a day. I find that nitrox 32 is great for making me feel good after that many dives in one day. (no Mdeical proof) All I know is that I felt the same way as you and so did Roxanne, until we started diving it. The feeling of well being is by far just a personal thing, bet when we dive in North Carolina they call it geezer gas. Hope you have enough information to help you make an informed decision.

Clay
Thanks Clay Now Im starting to understand this more and Why divers use it,, its just a matter of choice/prefference on the divers part to pursue this.. Now See This knowledge Is helping me with a decision as to Maybe get certified at my LDS.. The Knowledge I seeked was not to be used underwater it was used to make a personal decision for myself! And to think about the new diver that sees all this negativity... great job in promoting the sport guys!
Matt65 - 3/10/2009 4:48 PM
Going to your LDS for training and advice is a wonderful Idea, however, there are some, strange as it may sound, that donot have a LDS. The closest dive shop to me is 200 miles away. So, a new divers forum for Q&A is a wonderful and welcome idea.
Subscribed
scubaclay - 3/10/2009 6:19 PM
Check around and see if there are any independant insturctors that you can hook up with.
Subscribed
scubaclay - 3/15/2009 3:41 PM
Hope you found someone who you trust. It is good to talk to an instructor, but an good dive buddy or divemaster will do.