Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dive Maui
slkdiver - 1/22/2009 7:00 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 6

I’m going to Maui in Feb. Can any one recommend some good Dive sites, Shops, Charters. Or any Dive Buddies on the Island?
Matt65 - 1/22/2009 11:06 PM
I was in Oahu in December, did some awsomely fun diving with the fine folks at Aaron’s dive shop there. When I mentioned that I would be going to Maui this november, it was recomended that I look into Lahaina Divers (http://www.lahainadivers.com/) I am told that they are considered to be the best shop on Maui. I plan on checking them out when I go in November. Which ever shop on Maui you choose, would you please let me know what your experience was like? Thanks and have a safe fun trip!
Rich-D-Fish - 1/23/2009 12:51 AM
Like Matt, I too was told Lahaina divers was a great operation, and I would have to agree. They were great on my recent trip. Unfortunately, on my particular dives I believe I took the wrong trip. Their website shows which sites they hit on each particular day of the week. I got some advice from a different dive shop which told me that there was better viz at the Molokini crater than the island of Lanai because of prevailing swell. So I chose the day to dive at Molokini instead of Lanai. They were right about the viz. 100’ easily everywhere in the crater. But I was dissapointed with the amount of sea life. It was just okay. We dove a spot called the "aquarium" and it was anything but. Back on the boat I made a comment to this fact, and my divebuddy (I met on boat) said he had dove yesterday on the Lanai trip to the Cathedral caverns and there was 10X the amount of sea life. He even showed me pictures on his camera. I definitely missed out. The Cathedrals are a can’t miss. I would say if you have only one trip... choose Lanai. I believe the second dive on the Lanai trip is to Turtle Town, and in my buddies photos it really lived up to its name. If you can do two trips you can’t lose. Have fun. 
Subscribed
slkdiver - 1/23/2009 3:50 AM
Will do!
Subscribed
slkdiver - 1/23/2009 3:51 AM
Thanks for the info! And best of diving to you!
divemaiden - 1/23/2009 5:39 AM
I’m going to Maui in February, too. President’s week. This is my 2nd trip. The last time I went, I dove with Lahaina Divers, and I had the best time with them. I plan to dive with them again.
evansglenda - 1/27/2009 12:53 PM
you have to dive the crater molokinito die for