Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

One breath away ...
DiveRex - 4/24/2007 8:35 AM
Category: Training
Replies: 2

As the dive season begins here in the Northern Mid-West, this is a tragic reminder that Scuba Diving is not with out hazards. There are many issues involved with this accident that will be left to speculation, only because the divers involved are not here to fill in the blanks.

Two divers died this past weekend at Gilboa Quarry in Ohio, just west of Findley. I don`t know the particulars, other that what has been stated in the articles. You can read the article below and make your own reflections.

Please! If you dive "deep" and "cold" be sure that you have the proper training and the proper equipment to do so. As well as your buddies that are diving with you. There are so many variables with diving in adverse conditions. I just don`t know what else to say other than "Be safe and know your limits!"

100 feet deep, 38 degree water and a iced over free flowing reg is a deadly combonation!

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070422/NEWS01/704220318
Hansdown - 4/24/2007 8:07 PM
What a shame. It`s good that we get reminded of these things tho. Safety Safety Safety ! jOHN
Greg - 4/25/2007 6:32 PM
In open water training, we should have all learned to breath from a free flowing regulator. It`s important that divers practice those skills in a confined environment about once a year. It`s just as important to have gear suited for the conditions of the dive. Near freezing water requires gear that is designed not to freeze up. I`m not sure of the specifics of the diver`s deaths...but it`s always a good idea to remind everyone about safety, training and proper gear selection. And in life, nothing is 100% guaranteed...no matter how safe we try to be. The only way to limit your chances of getting hurt is to stay inside, and that`s no fun.