Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

WHY THE HECK DO I NEED A DIVE BUDDY!
Scubagal_godive - 11/16/2008 1:48 PM
Category: Health & Safety
Replies: 2

A friend of mine at the Toys 4 Tots event in Wisconsin shared with me that HER friend’s brother was the fiance’ of the lady lost in this HORRIBLE disaster.

WHAT PART OF ALWAYS HAVE A DIVE BUDDY IN SIGHT AT ALL TIMES
DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND?????????????

Rescuers find body of missing Blue Tang dive boat customer Powered by CDNN - CYBER DIVER News Network
by LUTHER MONROE - CDNN Safety News Editor
  • Two rescue boat crews from Coast Guard Station Lake Worth, Florida
  • An HH-65C Dolphin helicopter crew and an HU-25 Falcon jet crew from Coast Guard Air Station Miami
  • Coast Guard Cutter Cormorant
  • Coast Guard Auxiliary rescue boat crews
  • Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission boat crew

• Buddy system

During entry-level certification courses, divers are taught to utilize the buddy system, which requires two or more divers to remain together at all times including descent, ascent and surface swim back to a dive boat or beach entry point.

JUPITER BEACH, Florida (30 Aug 2008) — Rescuers found the body of a scuba diver who went missing on Friday.

Eva Schwartz, 51, of Jupiter, disappeared on Friday morning while scuba diving with her fiance and another friend off the Blue Tang dive boat, which is based at Blowing Rocks Marina.

Authorities said the woman ascended alone while the fiance and friend continued diving.

But Schwartz did not return to the Blue Tang dive boat and may never have reached the surface.

The dive boat crew called for help and authorities launched a full-scale search at about 10:00am on Friday morning.

Rescuers found the body earlier today east of Jupiter Inlet at a depth of about 30 meters (100 feet).

Assisting in the search were:

Scuba diving death "In this case, it appears the victim was an experienced diver who died because standard safe diving protocol was ignored," said CDNN Managing Editor Freeman Washington.

"It is absolutely imperative that novice and experienced scuba divers not become complacent about the inherent risks of scuba diving," urged Washington.

"We need to be vigilant, we need to follow the rules and we need to look out for each other at depth and at the surface where many divers encounter problems."
    Spearo - 11/16/2008 7:37 PM

I belive many do just as I belive there’re many who do not. There are many who do it all the time and do it safetly, there are lots of people who don’t belong UW with or without a dive buddy! Very sad!

Subscribed
    UnderWatercolours - 11/19/2008 8:39 PM
    This is certainly a very tragic loss for all of Eva’s friends and family, but please be very careful about what you post in reference to CDNN. That website is not run by a real news organization. Please see divepoll dot com for the truth about CDNN. This person "Luther Monroe" is not a real person.

I have personally have had some very nasty dealings with the guy who runs this site. His name is James Hart (formerly from the Seattle area) and he’s a failed dive operator, now attempting to be a writer. The whole purpose of his websites is to defame the dive industry and anyone who is in it (unless of course, they pay him off). Everything you read there is stolen content off of other websites, with his own added twist to make things more dramatic and gruesome than they really are.

The stories on his site can always be found on legitimate websites where you will find a more accurate account of events, without his morbid twist and defamation.