Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Accessible Caribbean Dive Site
blairsp - 10/11/2008 5:29 AM
Category: Travel
Replies: 5

My buddy and I are looking for a good beach/boat dive site in the Caribbean. We are looking for a quick, one week trip in mid-November so we want to find a site which is accessible. That is frequent flights fro the U.S., a nice selection of hotels, etc. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks,Steve
work2dive - 10/11/2008 9:51 AM
My wife and I have been to St Thomas 2 times for long weekends. The 1st time we dove around the Red Hook area and it was ok, but the last time we went which was in August we dove around the south west side of the island. The diving there was awesome! Lots and lots of wrecks, believe it or not. I think they said there were like at least 12 different wrecks there with a 30 min boat ride and no deeper than 100 ft to the sand. We dove with Blue Island Divers out of Crown Bay Marina which was very easy to get to from our hotel, Best Western Emerald Beach. The crew was great, the dive boat was clean, roomy, and comfortable. They said they never take over 12 divers. We dove the WIT Shoal which is almost 400 ft long and served in the Pacific in WWII. We also dove some other WWII hospital ship the Miss Opportunity. I think they said this was over 300 ft long. I was very very surprised at the quality of diving in STT. There is also a killer bar/resteraunt at the marina but I can’t remember the name. The hotel was nice. Had a nice pool, beach, and bar right on the beach. Didn’t spend much time sightseeing, but from what I understand thers plenty of nightlife and things to do. We also had tons of flight options from the east coast. Dont know where in PA you are but you should not have any problem getting a flight from Philly or Pburg. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Aqua_Nut_Angel - 10/11/2008 10:22 AM
Turks and Caicos Island (Provo). Live aboards, local daily charters day or night. Single to three tank dives. 3 great dive shops with boats(I dove with Provo Dive Shop 5 of the 7 dives). One of the dive shops took me out on a solo one tank dive at no extra cost. I dove with the boats divemaster and it was absolutely great. Something about just two divers in the open water and no else is there. Truth is...it’s all good in the Caribbean
rxatrix - 10/12/2008 8:54 AM
Aqua_Nut_Angel said it best: It’s all good in the Caribbean! My personal favorite is Grand Cayman. The best of both worlds. Great boat diving and great shore diving. I go to GC at least once a year...some years just shore dives, some years just boat dives, and some years a combo of both. Boat diving getting a little pricey, but what isn’t. Air and Nitrox are plentiful from any dive shop. For shore diving, check ot Sunset House, Eden Rock, Dive Tech (DPV rentals). And don’t forget Smith’s Cove. Grap 4 tanks, pack a picnic lunch, great for an all day Sunday shore dive! Major airlines have daily flights out of Miami,FL
Subscribed
blairsp - 10/13/2008 6:10 AM
Thanks for the tip!
Apocalypso - 10/15/2008 10:06 AM
Bonaire is a great place to combine shore and boat dives....not sure what the flight schedule is out of Pa....but it would be a great place to visit in Nov. Buddy Dive Resort would be a good choice http://www.buddydive.com/