Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Arizona???
Pyrate - 9/10/2008 4:40 PM
Category: General
Replies: 10

What’s up with Arizona? Seems like just about everyone i see on here is from Arizona? Is there good diving there? I thought the diving in South Florida was good......
CallesCafe - 9/10/2008 5:26 PM
We’re pretty much landlocked here, but we’re definately a hop,skip or a jump away from Mexico and CA.
tshark - 9/10/2008 5:29 PM
The water is warmer here in sw florida & we can dive all round with no dry suit. If these storms would leave us alone for a week or more we could start diving again.
Subscribed
Pyrate - 9/10/2008 6:55 PM
I live in SW Florida and dive the east and west coast and the Keys all the time. Got my last dive in last weekend between hurricanes. I just noticed a lot of people from Arizona and didn’t know if they had lakes or something that were good. Didn’t think about Cali or Mexico being so close.
CallesCafe - 9/10/2008 7:44 PM
Yeah, we have a few lakes. Lake Pleasant, Saguaro and Salt River are the most commonly dove.
RAWalker - 9/11/2008 12:58 AM

We have a number of fresh water lakes. That allow us to get wet.

If you lived in the middle of a desert you’d be more prone to take advantage of the the mud holes we dive locally.

We are also within a drive from some great spots in California and Mexico.

What is amazing is we have a healthy dive community with a good number of dive shops locally and active divers.
Subscribed
Pyrate - 9/11/2008 7:24 AM
All good information. I actually started this thread to be funny but i really learned a lot. Thanks.
ScubaDubaDo - 9/11/2008 8:09 AM

Ahhhh...hell hath no fury like that of an Arizonian scorned...

Seriously...when I first moved to Arizona, my first thought was...there goes diving. Then I realized there are the local lakes to get wet and Cali and Mex are close. I soon realized my aunt only lives 5.5 hrs away in West LA, which gave me a free place to stay every time I divine in Cali...woohoo...

The local lakes remind of the lakes in Michigan I learned to dive in...but much warmer and less life...nonetheless, a great place to dive and be with friends...
Subscribed
Pyrate - 9/11/2008 8:17 AM
I was certified in Tallahassee, Fl. and did mostly spring dives or ocean dives in Panama City. Then worked in the Keys for 8 years and dove up and down the Keys. I then moved to SW Florida and thought i would be diving every day. Actually the diving in SW Fl. sucks and we drive to Miami/Keys now for all of our diving. My favorite dive spot is in Venice though. Terrible viz, but the shark teeth/prehistoric bone finds are spectacular. I’ve posted some teeth pics on my page here.
scubam0nkey - 9/11/2008 12:11 PM
I also believe the reason for more Arizona divers on Divebuddy is from the wonderful promotion N-Depth Scuba does with Divebuddy and their divers! :)
ScubaDubaDo - 9/11/2008 3:15 PM
That could be true...I just cashed in 100 points for my Search and Recovery course...woohoo