Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Are newbies always a pain in the a** to dive with?
shannonjon22 - 3/27/2007 5:22 PM
Category: General
Replies: 9

I ask because I`m a newbie and not very confident in my skills yet. I try to be very considerate of others feelings so I don`t want to be the one holding things up or having to abort the dive. This said, I think I would gain a much more competence and confidence diving with experienced divers. Do the DM`s and pros get tired of having to hold the newbies hand?
Greg - 3/27/2007 10:08 PM
We don`t want to hold hands, but, speaking for myself...I don`t mind diving with newbies. It gives me a chance to teach what I`ve learned, which helps it stick in my mind and I always learn something new from the newbie also. Different people have different ways of doing things and sometimes, even if your new, your way could be better. So I never stick my nose in the air when it comes to diving with newbies. Because when you cease to learn, you die. Noone is perfect.
Dorkfish - 3/27/2007 11:16 PM
I`m with Greg on this one. When I was a newer diver I had the frustration of getting others to dive with me. Fortunately, I was deployed with a group of folks who were all about it and welcomed the idea of another diver in their midst.

Now (as an instructor) I`m a bit more apt to dive with a newbie. Newbies don`t usually have this big head with the "I`ve been diving since....or I`ve got XXX number of dives." They need the experience just as badly as the rest of us, so why not allow them to feed off of those of us with the experience and training.

My favorite approach to newbies is this: If you`re nervous, that`s fine. I`ll lead out, you lead back...sound good?" Then we plan the dive together to make sure we are within each other`s comfort levels. On subsequent dives I try to let the newbie lead while I follow. This gives that person the ability to check on me...learning to be a good dive buddy. The entire technique is known as "I lead...you lead".
Waterskier1 - 3/30/2007 10:08 AM
When I was a newbie I didn`t want to dive with another newbie. On a trip, I was assigned a newbie buddy, who brought all new equipment, never used, and he didn`t know how to put it together, much less try it out before we got to Bonaire. A divemaster took about 2 hours to attach all the hoses from his regs, computer, spg, bcd, octo, etc. Then, when we got to the dive site, he put his wet suit on backwards (zipped up the front), and didn`t have enough weight to get below the water. I requested another buddy, for 2 reasons. One, I was a newbie too, and didn`t feel comfortable watching after myself AND him, and I truly believe you have to buddy up with someone better than you (as a newbie) to gain additional knowledge and experience. Once I gain that requisite experience, I will be happy dive with a newbie. I have taught waterskiing and also snow skiing, and really enjoy seeing a newbie get enjoyment out of a new sport.
Alan - 4/02/2007 7:06 PM
New divers are rarely a pain. Sometimes they need the reassurance of some experience, to calm them down enough to really enjoy why they started this great sport. I love the aspect of being able to assist them in any way, which will make them more confident & better diver once they realize that they really are not alone. LOL Poor choice of words.
SkinandScuba - 4/05/2007 8:13 PM
I do not like to say that newbies are a pain to dive with. As an instructor I know what to expect from my students having trained them. The qualified diver that I have not dived with before worries me more, expecialy if they have been diving for a while and think they can dive. A lot of divers tend to get very complacent as they get a bit of experience. They then take short cuts!!!!!!!! That is where I find most problems start arising. They then also throw some of there training down the drain, as there friends tell them that there are better ways to do it. The friends always know more than the instructors.
DiveGirl55 - 4/16/2007 3:48 PM
I am not a pro, but I have more dives than the dude I took out. It was his 2nd dive. So I played leader, only every time I would turn around to see if he was at my fins, he was way behind and at the bottom trying to stay bouyant. He was kicking up silt, and constantly looking at his air. I lost him so many times and had to go back, that soon I was running low on air! After that, I decided, no newbie buddies!
Subscribed
shannonjon22 - 4/29/2007 2:50 PM
I am the OP, but I just have to report back with a newbie lesson. If you are the newbie, it`s better to find someone with more experience to dive with. Two newbies trying to dive together in OW, no guide? Just don`t do it! I dove with someone recently who had much less experience than I have (only OW and PPB = 15 dives) and the whole time I just kept thinking that we could get into real trouble out here since neither one of us has much experience dealing with unforseen situations. But then I dove with a much more experienced diver in the same place and I learned a great deal.
NWKatShark - 5/02/2007 6:33 PM
Newbies are always welcome on my dives. We all have to learn and I get a kick out of watching them. It makes me remember how I used to be. Probably, most importantly, Newbies need to be able to practice and hone their newly aquired skills in a relaxed environment. Better that they can do it with experienced divers watching out for them. But just remember, we`re not laughing AT you, we`re laughing WITH you. Now hit the water and let`s get rid of that rediculously funny bicycle kick!
carlover - 5/17/2007 7:19 AM
When I first started diving my first buddy,an advanced dive said, you lead,but make sure you wait for me!! I constantly slowed to wait for him,and all the while him and the dm were close, and it then dawned on me he taught me to slow down, stay close to the dm, and watch the bouy line. I dont mind newbies, I always tell them to wait for me!!!!

Related Content