Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Blackberry
zraven - 8/27/2008 10:41 AM
Category: General
Replies: 4

I am always on the move and don’t always have time to check emails/DiveBuddy.com at a computer, which was why I got a Blackberry. My issue is with compatablity of my Blackberry and DiveBuddy.com. In order to use almost any functions (i.e. edit profile, add pic, add new forum topic, etc) I have to find a computer. I was wondering if anyone else was suffering from the same or similar compatibility issues or know a way to resolve it. I don’t mean to make your job any more difficult Greg, but if you happen to find a solution, it would be greatly appreceated by at least one member :-)
If not, it’s not that big of a deal, and I guess I will just have to suck it up and find a computer.
Greg - 8/27/2008 1:32 PM

I toyed around with the idea of creating a mobile version of divebuddy.com...however, after researching things further I decided not to. Most newer phones are starting to integrate regular web browsers for internet surfing. The iPhone, for example, uses the Safari web browser and divebuddy.com looks great on that browser and all functionality is the same as though you were sitting in front of a computer (of course your screen is smaller :).

I’m not sure what Blackberry uses, but I guess it’s still a browser that requires a mobile version of websites in order for it to look right.

For now, I’m going to suggest that you find a computer from time to time. And in another year, go buy a new phone...by then they’ll be integrated with our dive computers probablly! Thanks, Greg.
Subscribed
jreitz1 - 8/27/2008 1:55 PM
I also have a Blackberry and I know what you mean about using the browser that comes with the phone. What I did was download Opera Mini for the mobile to my phone. The cool part about Opera is that it syncs up with my desktop Opera so I have all the same bookmarks and such. Then when you go to look at a webpage, like DiveBuddy.com, it will load the whole page and then you can zoom in on the part that you want to see or work with. Maybe that will help you. Check out http://www.operamini.com/
sk290 - 8/27/2008 6:23 PM

Howdy there! I have a Blackberry 8700 that runs on Java and have no issues logging into the site. What is the model of your blackberry? Do you have an internet browser option on it? I could look up some of the set up on mine if that would help you (?)

:)
Subscribed
zraven - 8/27/2008 8:36 PM
I have a Pearl 8130. I do browse with the Blackberry internet browser that comes on the phone. I believe it too runs on Java. I have no problems login in and veiwing profiles, but if I want to edit anything I need to get to a good ole desktop.