Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Playa del Carmen
scubasylkie - 8/17/2008 12:19 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 4

I’m looking for recommendations on dive charter and hotel of choice for a Dec trip to Playa del Carmen Mexico. It’s a fun town and I need help on locating both for a great trip. Thanks, Sarah.
divemaiden - 8/17/2008 7:00 PM

I stayed at the Viva Maya when I was there. They have a dive shop right on site. I dove with them the first two days, doing a boat dive and diving the cenotes, and had a really great time. They were super nice. I came down with a miserable cold 3 days into the trip, and had to cancel the rest of my planned dives. There was a no refund policy and they weren’t allowed to give me a cash refund for the dives I missed, but they did give me merchandise of comparative value, which I thought was really nice of them since I wasn’t expecting to get anything.

I only went the one time, so I don’t have anything (negative or positive) to say about any of the other hotels or dive operators.
tmac_diver - 8/18/2008 8:07 PM

Hi Miss Sarah

I stayed at the RIU Palace in Playa. It was very new at the time { about 2 years ago}. It was wonderful, great food, great pool, nice beach. I dove with a group called " Scuba Caribe". They were a fantastic outfit. We went to the cenotes, Cozumel and also dove off the hotel beach { very cool dive, saw a school of about 100 Tarpon}. I would definitley stay there again and dive with Scuba Caribe again. I hope you have a great time.

Tom
Subscribed
scubasylkie - 8/18/2008 9:06 PM
Hey Tom, thankyou for your reply. I finally figured out how to access replies..... I am thinkin’ I may go with Tom’s Turks and Caicos trip December and even the Cozumel trip next summer. Any trips planned for you? Sarah.
tmac_diver - 8/20/2008 9:02 AM

Hi Miss Sarah

I have no trips planned right now, need to watch the budget. I hope to go on a trip in 09. I hope you have fun in T&C.