Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

BCD back inflate vs jacket.
sea4me - 8/16/2023 1:04 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 8

Any advice on a back inflate BCD vs jacket? I’m thinking of moving over to back inflate for weight and comfort.
Any pros and cons? I carry typical rescue diver extras.
Anyone using Zeagle?
Subscribed
sea4me - 8/17/2023 1:23 PM
Thanks Lattitude. That is very helpful.
Mikescubaguy - 8/20/2023 6:52 PM
What about holding an upside down position. Like coming over a ledge, head down and staying that way to check things out. I have a hybrid vest BCD and have great control. Realize a change would take getting used to, but I get comments about how much I’m head down, feet up. Lets you see under ledges but keeps you off the bottom.
LatitudeAdjustment - 8/22/2023 9:36 AM
I’m a photographer and go upside down a lot to stay clear of the reef but get me nose and camera in holes.
as you change position you’ll feel the bubble of air in the wing move, don’t rush it.
My warm water setup is only using a small wing and I carry 3 pounds when using my steel tank.
With my 7 mil my feet float up too much and I use ankle weights to trim better.
This is my warm water BP&W
Subscribed
sea4me - 9/01/2023 3:42 PM
Very nice Latitude. I appreciate all of your advice. I ordered a medium and have had to send it back as it is too big, so will try a small and play in the pool to get the buoyancy until next dive, which unfortunately is not until December.
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/02/2023 11:38 AM
From sea4me: which unfortunately is not until December.

BC’s only work if you keep them damp :)
If your gear is drying out between dives you are not doing it right :(
Subscribed
GreggS - 10/29/2023 9:24 AM
A little late to the convo, but I moved from a jacket BCD to back-inflate a few years ago and I love it. I use it in different types of water conditions (except really cold. I don’t do really cold water.) The back-inflate just feels better and I don’t get that "squeeze" when I inflate it. And I can hang upside down when taking photos or video.

The only way I’d go back to a jacket style is if I was on a dive trip and something happened to my BCD and had to rent or borrow one and a jacket style is all the had available. And if I had to replace it, I’d more than likely go BP&W.
Subscribed
UnderwaterMartini - 12/15/2023 1:39 AM
Check out the Dive Gear Express back plate and wing.

If you want something flashier check Helium Ti plates, and Halcyon setups.