Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

My New Oceanic Back Up Dive Computer (BUD)
FtMyersTom - 1/24/2018 8:07 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 3

I just added a photo of my new Oceanic BUD in my wife’s hand. It is small but it is a back up computer. I have been going back and forth a few months about what to do since my 180nx died. I learned that the upgrade to Veo 2.0 is bigger and won’t fit in 180nx boot. I didn’t want to pay $500 for another console since I have the Veo 3.0 wrist as back up for a few years that will now be my primary computer.

So far the BUD is as advertised with easy set up and only have to set for nitrox and with water activation just jump and play. The main selling point is the same dive plan z+ and dsat algorithm, conservative factor and all the other Oceanic performance and safety as my Veo 3.0. Along with a 12/24hr dive memory and a 60 month warranty it will outlast my TDT left. I didn’t want to buy another Oceanic product but didn’t know about this new BUD that in my opinion was ingenious. The negs are small read out but if only needed in case of primary computer failure it’s adequate and is a bit pricey at $199 but it is packed with Oceanic Veo features and performance including back light and extended battery life..

Not to mention it reduces the size of my reg and I’m all for that with flying carry on. So in my world I’m happy with it. BTW I did buy the version 3 download cable for the 3.0 so Oceanic still puts it to ya. They didn’t force me but since I can continue to download dive data with the 3.0 why not.
LatitudeAdjustment - 27 days 1 hour ago.
My Veo was going to be a back up to the Cochran multi gas BUT Cochran wanted an extra fee to unlock their clock that was more than the price of the Veo so the Veo is the one I watch the most :)
Subscribed
Smithsgold - 26 days 20 hours ago.
Nice looking unit I’ll have to check them out !!
Subscribed
FtMyersTom - 25 days 21 hours ago.
Yes and can’t wait to get into the water to use it. Having my regs serviced and water is a bit cold for my old arthritic body so it will be a couple months yet.