Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

liveaboard dive cruises
verticallead - 7/17/2008 11:06 PM
Category: General
Replies: 6

So I am thinking of taking one of those dive cruises. Just wondering what others have experienced,

who have you traveled with, or what have you heard about them

I’m leaning towards the Aggressor fleet, or the British Virgin Islands Cuna Law Trimaran.

Just wondering what every thought about any of these cruises?

IndyJames - 7/18/2008 8:32 AM
Good question. I’d also be interested in hearing from anyone who’s gone with Blackbeard.
sk290 - 7/18/2008 11:39 AM

I’ve done both the Nekton and Blackbeard’s in the Bahamas. Liveaboards are awesome. You do nothing but dive, eat and sleep. The captain will ask the guests which type of diving they would like to do (deep vs. shallow) and take the boat to different dive spots according to weather conditions.

The difference between the boats are the size and type of accomodation such as deck space, bathrooms, eating and sleeping quarters. The Nekton had cabins with showers, a sun deck with a hot tub and a nice "cafeteria" area with a large tv where we could watch some of the videos shot by the divers. Weekly trips are priced at right below 2k.

The Blackbeard’s was also nice but not as spacious or luxurious. No sun deck, berth style accomodation (4 people per sleeping area) sharing one bathroom, small eating area so we mostly eat at the deck. This is more like "camping" and so was the price ($929).

The dive sites for both were pretty much the same, food was okay and plentiful, the crew always helpful and friendly. Shark dives are also included in the schedule which is way cool.

Another thing I also consider on my dive trips is the cost of getting there. The Nekton took off from Ft. Lauderdale and sailed all night. For the Blackbeard’s I had to fly to Freeport, Bahamas and is sailed all night to get to it’s destination.

So, total cost to consider is the cruise, flight, tips (10 - 15% of cruise cost), fuel upcharge and incidentals for a night in the island off the ship.

I know of other liveaboards that can get up to 5 or 6k which goes to more exotic places, bigger ships, more service, etc... Either way you choose, this is a must do experience.

Happy diving!
OcalaJim - 7/18/2008 12:36 PM
I’ve had great experiences on liveaboards. I’ve been on Jim Abernethy’s M/V Shear Water to West Grand Bahamas - EXCELLENT trip. The crew was great, food was great and the dive sites were great, too. I’ve been on M/V Ocean Explorer to Bimini and that trip was really good, too. The last one I went on was the Utlimate Getaway to the Tortugas. Again, crew, food and sites were all great.
Nesher - 7/18/2008 2:38 PM

I REALLY enjoy and prefer liveaboard diving forseveral reason.

The Aggressor Fleet & Peter Hughes are considered higher - end liveaboards. Charter fares usually range in the $2500.00 + category per person.

Except Thailand which is liveaboard heaven if you ask me. Liveaboards in other parts of the world outside of the Caribbean are and can be extremely expensive.

However, the Aggressor Fleet outside of the Caribbean in comparison with other liveaboards is still a bit more affordable.

For example - The Palau Aggressor is 2800 - 3200.00 per person on a seven day itinerary, compare that with the Ocean Hunter which visits the same sites and has the same itinerary [ at ] 4500.00 per person.

Closer to home you have a number of choices at various price ranges.

Again the Aggressor Fleet claims to provide high-end luxury, comfort and service and if that’s what you desire you pay for it.

If you want something more mid-level you need to look into some of the other liveaboard companies. That have charter prices in that range from 1400 - 1900.00 per person.

But price doesn’t always indicate comfort, service and luxury. I’ve heard good things about the Aggressor and PH and I’ve heard bad things as well.

I take a number of liveaboard trips a year so I look for value, service and quality.

I’m concerned w/the vessel, the crew, tgheir professionalism and customer service, and lastly the safety record of the vessel.

The Cuan Law targets more families and couples where neither wants hard core diving but more shore excursions and more land to play on. Cuan Law even has an on-board spa for ther guests.

It’s really nice and spacious. If your spouse doesn’t dive, there are plenty of shore excursions to keep them from being bored.

Cuan Law only does about 2 - 3 dives per day from a skiff. It’s a land based resort schedule just floating around on a catamaran.

If you need more information just send me a message and I’ll share what I know. BTW - "Vertical Call" that’s awesome!

Nesher - 7/18/2008 2:57 PM

One more thing...well a couple.

Logistics are very important along w/add-on prices.

If you take the Aggressor I’d look into the Cayman Aggressor. I’ve heard GREAT things about that itinerary from several people.

In fact, w/in a year or so I’ll take it myself.

The add-on charges are very expensive these days some total up to $450.00 (Nitrox, port tax, park fees, FUEL SURCHARGE read the fine line carefully)

Logistics can add to your costs as well; airfare, baggage, flight duration, airport & flight availability....not to mention having to arrive and/or depart a day before or after the cruise daes. (hotel, cabs, food, etc....)

Logistics can hurt you on a liveaboard trip; adding up to hundreds if not a thousands of dollars.

Once you’ve negotiated all those factors, you’ll never regret your decision to dive from a liveaboard.

Tip 1 - The closer to home (USofA) the easier everything is to do.

Tip 2 - Get a real good dive Travel Agency and let them work for you.

Tip 3 - If you can, try and go with a group your first time around unless you’re a bit like me.
ScouterJT - 7/18/2008 7:17 PM

I spent a week on the Cayman Aggressor in June. I had a great time and would highly recommend it.

Grand Cayman is easy to get to.

The dive sites are magnificant; a nice mix of reefs and wrecks.

The food is great. The crew is phenominal.

12 dive sites; 25 dives; 22+ hours underwater. It was a great week.

Eat ... Sleep ... Dive. that says it all; don’t plan on much else.