Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Radio Island Beach Sweep
BenDavid - 5/12/2017 8:04 PM
Category: Event
Replies: 3

Come on down to the Crystal Coast next weekend for the Beach Sweep dive at Radio Island. The dive shop has free rental gear for the dive.

discoverydiving.com/upcoming-events/may-beach-sweep

My bunkhouse is available.

jonesanthony.com/renta.html
LatitudeAdjustment - 5/14/2017 9:06 AM
During the clean up is that parking lot open at the end of the road available and that area open to diving ?

There is a clean up dive in NJ I like because during the clean up the USCG closes a pier for an hour we can’t normally dive around because of fisherman and that’s reason enough to jump in with a bag :) The fishermen actually line up to help topside so they can look for lost fishing gear to reuse :)
Subscribed
BenDavid - 5/14/2017 6:00 PM
Hey LA,

Yes, there is a public beach access (free parking) with showers and restrooms at the north end. You can dive out there off the public beach but it’s mostly a sand bottom. Some people like to dive the marina just off the beach and find stuff people have dropped getting on/off their yachts. The rock jetty is at the south end of the island so you have to walk the 1/4 mile to get to it. Some people bring a little wagon or fishing cart to haul their stuff. There’s some geographical anomaly that affects gravity along that beach and scuba gear gets twice as heavy about 3/4 the way down there. :)

If you’re down here and want to dive it get up with me let me know. I usually take my boat over and anchor on the beach and save the 1/4 mile walk with all the gear.

Radio Island
LatitudeAdjustment - 5/15/2017 6:39 AM
From BenDavid: There’s some geographical anomaly that affects gravity along that beach and scuba gear gets twice as heavy about 3/4 the way down there. :)

We have that near the twin wrecks here in NJ too and it’s gotten worse since Sandy washed out the beach access path :(

I expect to be down there in July for the Redneck Shark fest and I plan on doing Radio Island while I’m there and yes I do have a dock cart that I’ve added foam to to hold the tank :)