Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

West Florida shore dives
Like_a_rock - 5/08/2017 10:38 AM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 15

I’m looking to find anyone interested in doing some weekend shore dives anywhere from Naples to Tarpon Springs.
blac86 - 17 days 22 hours ago.
I’m in the sarasota area and I go off the shore almost every weekend.
Subscribed
Damien941 - 17 days 22 hours ago.
Hey bud Im from the Bradenton area and dive alot. I wouldnt waste my time on shore dives around here, nothing to see honestly, Spanish Rocks and the Sugarbarge are pretty lame, unless you like looking at sand and small rocks. Blue Water explorers runs a dive boat outa Cortez but everytime I go he drops us on the exact same small ledge and the old tug boat.I would like to dive the old Army tanks Im pretty sure its a deeper dive aswell. Its a shame you dont like all the springs they are the best diving Florida has IMO. Have you been to Blue Grotto or Paradice springs, Paradice is very cool and decends down to about 130 feet. Then ofcourse Ginnie and Blue Springs.Are you comfortable in overhead inviorments? Well if you find a deacent boat charter boat dive I would be intrested. East Coast is fun.
Subscribed
Like_a_rock - 17 days 20 hours ago.
Yeah...know what you mean about the Regina. Water clarity was almost zero when I went...but it’s what I’m stuck with until I get a dive boat. I’ve done the Blue Heron at night...which was good.

The springs were ok. It was crowded all 3 times I went. Did the Blue Grotto....Devils Den..and Ginnie.

Tried Blue Water explorers and one charter out of West Palm....but those were so rushed. To charters....time is money....I get it.

Best dives I ever did was the Grand Caymans and Roatan....so relaxed.

Btw...had 2 dives almost wrecked to not being able to equalize. Biggest change is in first 20 feet....so I’ll work on equalizing for now.
Subscribed
FtMyersTom - 17 days 17 hours ago.
I agree with Damien941. I wouldn’t shore dive from the cape down to Naples. When I dive local I dive in the keys. I love the wrecks so checkout my profile for what I do. I do the chartered advanced + Nitrox wrecks in the keys or east coast out of Pompano. Did my checkout cert dives with Pompano dive center on wrecks, got hooked on them from there. After checking my profile and you are interested in any upcoming trips let me know. I will be doing a lot of beach dives especially in Bonaire and Grand Cayman. I own a II time share and use it often. I’d like to go back to the Mohawk but it’s hard to find a 6 pack charter. The guy I used doesn’t go anymore, at least last check.

Check my profile and see if what I do interest you then send a buddy request.

divebuddy.com/FtMyersTom

Subscribed
Like_a_rock - 17 days 16 hours ago.
Good info to go on....thanks!
Subscribed
cbm369 - 17 days 15 hours ago.
I’ll be in Venice, Florida, later this month, 26 - 30, doing shore dives for Meg teeth and fossils if you’re interested.
Subscribed
Like_a_rock - 17 days 13 hours ago.
Haven’t done a Meg teeth dive yet but some of the YouTube videos of some doing make it look challenging/fun. Looks to better than carving pumpkins under water. I’ll be around...give me a shout when you get to Venice. May have to now invest in a sand sifter.
Subscribed
cbm369 - 17 days 13 hours ago.
No need for sifter, just fan the sand away with your hand.
Sifter is good if you’re searching for teeth at shore or waist deep.
I’ll give you a heads-up closer to when I get there.
Subscribed
Damien941 - 17 days 12 hours ago.
Once again, absolutely nothing to see but sand and only 20 ft of water, if thats what your into thats perfect for you.. I’d invite you to dive the old army tanks if you think you could equalize.
Subscribed
cbm369 - 17 days 11 hours ago.
Tanks are off Sarasota.
hopefully this link works: floridagofishing.com/reefs/cw-reefs-sarasota-county.html

GPS locations of different spots.
Subscribed
Like_a_rock - 17 days 11 hours ago.
Looks like I’ll be doing a road trip soon. All the good shore dive spots are in the Keys area. I can equalize. Just hate the infrequent times I couldn’t. Shot right down in the springs!
Subscribed
cbm369 - 17 days 11 hours ago.
Clicked Post too fast....

5 Tanks off Sarasota/Venice. Approx 60 ft of water.
Subscribed
Like_a_rock - 17 days 10 hours ago.
Ok....getting a boat.
Subscribed
Like_a_rock - 17 days 10 hours ago.
....and thanks for all the great advise and info.