Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Radio Island
BenDavid - 4/26/2017 11:32 PM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 8

Favorable high tide on Monday May 1st for Radio Island. Anyone in the MHC area wants to dive I’m in.
Subscribed
BenDavid - 4/30/2017 9:51 PM
Tide will be good again week of 14th ~ 20th.

youtu.be/oJ1EXQlv3AY
Subscribed
BenDavid - 5/01/2017 11:10 PM
Water was 72 degrees today at Radio Island. Vis about 6 feet. The recent rain is washing silt out from the Newport River and they’re still dredging the inlet so the ocean water coming in with the tide isn’t as clear as it normally is.

Saw some stone crabs, sea bass, a couple of sheepshead, toadfish, and a sea spider.
Subscribed
elliselectric - 5/03/2017 11:22 AM
Exactly what’s your criteria for timing the favorable tide. Also if I saw the tide history for May 1, when exactly was the time for diver down and diver up and out?
Subscribed
BenDavid - 5/03/2017 2:29 PM
I consider a "good tide" a high tide that’s between 10am and 4 pm since you have to dive RI on a slack high tide. You’ll get about 45 minutes of bottom time at RI before the tide turns ebb and current gets too much. I’ve dived it before off the slack and basically had to hang on to the rocks with one hand while I dived.

It’s been my experience that the tide usually goes slack about 10~15 minutes after what the tide tables for Fort Macon area tell you is high tide. Yesterday Gary and I went in about 1pm (tide table for Bogue Inlet said high was 12:45) and there was still a little flow tide. You could see the particles in the water going past you. It shortly turned slack and then was going ebb by the end of the dive.

We went in about 1 pm and the dive was 51 minutes. So we came out about 1:50, EllisE.

My usually plan is to get there about 20 minutes before what the tide tables say is high tide and watch the water. You can tell when the flow is starting to lull.

I try to keep the good tide times on my calendar so I’ll know when it’s a good tide for Radio Island!

MY CALENDAR
Subscribed
elliselectric - 5/03/2017 2:43 PM
Bogue Inlet the high tide and low tide chart, we can see that the first low tide was at 6:36 am and the next low tide at 6:30 pm. The only high tide of the day was at 12:32 pm.

Ok I understand now about waiting for the high tide time to arrive because the current in ends then in what’s called slack time, which lasted a short amount of time before the current flowed out of Inlet.

Thanks BenDavid
Subscribed
BenDavid - 5/04/2017 6:31 PM
You reading the right chart???

High tide at Bogue was 12:13am and 12:45pm. Low tide was 6:48am and 6:42pm.

But you get the idea. When the high tide comes in (rises), it’ll reach a point where the water is as high as it’s gonna get. Then for the next 45~55 minutes, the water will come to a stand-still as it changes direction and flows back out to the sea. That time when it’s standing still changing direction is "slack high tide". It’ll do the same thing at low tide, the water will flow out until the tide reaches it’s lowest level, then it’ll stand still for awhile while the water changes direction and starts flowing back in (rising). That’s called "slack low tide".

We only dive slack high tide at Radio Island and the Morehead City high-rise bridge because the incoming (rising) tide brings in clear water from the sea. At slack low tide, all the water flows out from the Newport Marshes and Newport River and it’s full of vegetation particles and silt and debris. So even though there’s no unpleasant current at slack low tide, the vis sucks major.