Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

buddy needed for bhb 4/9 or 4/10
adksail - 3/22/2017 7:43 PM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 10

I’m a new diver but competent person. I’m going to be in the area for couple days on vacation with the family april 8th-10th and would like to get in a dive or two at the bridge.
Subscribed
JJL - 3/23/2017 12:02 AM
Hi
Diving Blue Heron Bridge is done 1/2 hour before high tide till 1/2 after high tide.
The tide chart is available.

fl.usharbors.com/monthly-tides/Florida-South%20East/P...Palm%20Beach/2017-04
Subscribed
cbm369 - 3/23/2017 11:42 AM
Out of curiosity, why is it not dove during the low tide cycle? Current too strong in the shift from low to high?
Subscribed
adksail - 3/23/2017 12:26 PM
I was curious about that myself. I also was wondering what wetsuit mil would be best... I currently have a 7/5. Lake champlain is cold all summer lol. Would that be too toasty? I do need a thinner one for some of the other local lakes that get to be 80 or so, so if thinner than 7 is recommended I could buy one sooner than planned.
cbm369 - 3/23/2017 12:33 PM
I dove it last July without a wetsuit. I will be there in April the week after you.

Because it’s a shallow dive, I’m guessing a 3 or 5 mil will be plenty, but not sure. I will have my 3/2 shorty & 5 mil full with me, just in case.
Subscribed
adksail - 3/23/2017 12:46 PM
Ahh, missed by a week! Well hopefully I will find someone who won’t mind if I tag along. Otherwise I will pay to have a guide. Trying to avoid it if theres other options though. As for wetsuit, Im a skinny guy and need the extra insulation so will probably just go ahead and spring for 5mm full. Thanks for the input!
Subscribed
xracr96 - 3/23/2017 1:30 PM
Being from NY you will probably be fine with a dive skin or 3mil. Water temp should be 75-80f by April. I am from central FL and typically use Shark Skin Short Pants (shorts) and the long Top. Its a skin with 2-3mil thermal properties. Excellent for FL diving and not feeling restricted. For colder dives I put my 5mil over the Shark Skin.

I have been looking for a trip to BHB, but not sure about a 7am dive when I am 3hrs north. :)

There is also a night dive! Which is guided and free too.
puravidadivers.com/april-8-night-dive-at-blue-heron-bridge
force-e.com/go-diving/shore-dive-sites/bhb-2017-schedule/

In the same parking lot is Little Deeper Charters. They have morning (around 8am) and afternoon (around 1pm) offshore runs. littledeepercharters.com

Open water or advanced? How many dives do you have so far? What types of diving? Lakes, offshore, springs?
Subscribed
adksail - 3/23/2017 1:48 PM
Thanks! I am a new diver, was just certified last fall in lake champlain but was able to get in a few dives before it got too cold. Ive only dove freshwater so far and am only O.W certified. I do have my own gear, and will be continuing with my dive education. Need 25 dives before I can get my Aow cert so cant wait to add some dives to the log!
Subscribed
JJL - 3/23/2017 10:33 PM
I have heard that at low tide the visibility is poor.