Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Console or Wrist Computer??
Kami - 7/12/2008 4:03 PM
Category: General
Replies: 12

I dont have either yet and I had planned on buying a wrist computer..but 2 things have me wondering if there is more I need to know before choosing one. First, one of my instructors mentioned that if you move your arm ie. to point at something underwater the computer beeps cuz it thinks you are acending to quickly. Does hand/arm motion cause inacuracies with the calculations of the computer? and Second, I have small wrists...has anyone had problems with fit and comfort on small wrists? What other considerations, if any, should I know about before choosing a console style or wrist dive computer??
seawolfdiving - 7/12/2008 4:46 PM

Personally, I prefer a console computer. Not so much because of depth sampling, etc... but because the wrist computer has a habit of getting snaged on things when I am inside wrecks or climbing up the ladder in the back of the dive boat. A properly stowed console will not present this problem. But this is just my own preference.

There are pros and cons to each type of setup. My advice is to rent several different styles of each type and dive with them. Then make your decision. I recommend this because most dive computers (good ones) can be a significant investment, so you want to make sure that you get the one that is right for you.

Which ever computer that you choose, you’ll want to be sure that you understand "completely" how it works and how to dive safely with it... The dive shop where you rent or buy the dive computer should be able to instruct you on it’s proper use.
SeaGoat - 7/12/2008 6:41 PM

I’ve got an Aeris wrist computer. It fits me on the smallest hole - I’ve got about a 7in wrist. I usually wear it on the inside of my wrist so I can look at it while I’m holding something but that might also help with the snagging problem. 

If you aren’t on a budget you might also want to consider getting a mask-integrated computer. I’ve used one and they’re very nice but tend to leak a little on a small face. If I bought one I would probably have to replace the skirt w/ a smaller one. 
WTXDIVER - 7/12/2008 9:13 PM
My girls prefer wrist comps but I prefer a console Ive used both and for mee it realy come down to understanding the function and ease of use. Also ther was a earier discusion that included some discussion in the math modles used by some dif comps ie conservative/liberal Kind of a repulican/democrat thing It all boils sowm to preferance Try to rent someof the modle you think you like and dive with them first. Jay
Subscribed
Kami - 7/13/2008 1:51 AM
Well it looks like a wrist computer might be out of the question for me...although I guess it will depend on the brand. I have about a 5 in wrist. It is not just the band, but the actual computer itself is pretty bulky. I didnt know that they could be rented but I will certainly look into that so I can try some different ones out.
LuvinCayman - 7/13/2008 11:08 AM
I picked up a Cobra from LeisurePro online - the price was fantastic - and for a comprehensive console - you cannot beat it with a stick. I have both a wrist and a console - use the wrist as my backup and the console as primay.
VaDiver95 - 7/13/2008 3:35 PM

Personally, I’d go with a wrist computer…I’ve been inside plenty of wrecks and have never gotten it caught on anythingjust look where you’re going. They are pretty low profile so the danger of entanglement is pretty remote.

The main reason I’d go with the wrist mount...it’s easier to monitor your depth and time when the guage is on your wrist than having to clip and unclip a console. It’s also a much more streamlined dive configuration.

If you are worried about small wrists, you can always use bungee cord to replace the wrist bandthat way you can have it adjusted to you. Some companies make aftermarket mounts for computers (https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=instruments)

Hope this helps.

Vinny
Nesher - 7/13/2008 11:49 PM

Cobra II (console)
Subscribed
Kami - 7/14/2008 2:53 AM
Dont you love Leisure Pro?? Ultimately I would like to have both a wrist and a console computer...but for now I just need one. It is the only thing that I dont have. Well you know, there are lots of things I would like to have...but it is the one essential that I still really need.
Buzo - 7/14/2008 10:04 AM
One configutation that you could consider is getting a console as your primary and a wrist bottom timer as your backup. It would be much cheaper than two computers, but good piece of mind while diving. 
xmx - 7/15/2008 2:18 PM

No innacuracies in computing the profiles. Some computers are more sensitive and will beep annoyingly to warn you of excessive ascent speed. If the computer has download capabilities you’ll see them as little red lines in the graph of your dive.

I prefer a wrist mounted computer/gauge. the only thing I have on the hose is the pressure gauge clipped on the left D-ring on the harness. I find this is a much more streamlined setup and it’s the one preferred by most tech divers.
-heidi-o - 7/15/2008 4:28 PM
you can always get a different wrist strap... we have dome for the duo that are both velcro and elastic... so the small wrist should not be an issue.. and as far as pointing the pointing throwing off the computer.. i highly doubt it unless you are flailing and in that case you’re panicking and so is your computer with it’s sparratic beeping....
scubaclay - 7/16/2008 11:39 AM
Depending on the type of diving I do, I use both. I like to have a redundnt computer. If I’m doing tek diving I use three, one for each gas. It all depends on what you want to use and the type of diving you are doing.