Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Downloadable Log vs. Log Book
atomic333 - 3/02/2007 12:17 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 3

Right after completing my OW/Advanced OW certifications I got a dive computer (Oceanic VT3) along with all my other gear. The computer is great as it, of course, logs everything and it`s downloadable. I`m able to log all the data the computer collected and enter the other info-- conditions, dive buddy info, gear used, etc., really detailed information. I can also add pictures to each dive. As a good diver I keep the log current. And as a good techie I back up my data so I`ll always have the log. So, my question is. . . As a recreational open water diver; is it really that important for me to keep up with my original paper log book? And keep it with me? Some captains, I hear, want to see it before you dive. And I`ve seen some dive buddy ads say they want their buddy to have their up to date log book too. Any thought on this??
DalelynnSims - 3/06/2007 7:48 AM
Logbooks come in many forms & the paper logbook is pretty much the standard, or was. With technology we have the ability to record a host of dive info. I keep mine in a simple spreadsheet, Excel. That said, whatever you use there are some things to consider when using computers. One thing for sure about them, they are going to fail. It’s just a matter of time. I work for the military and on computers as well and I have heard all the excuses and the bottom line, if it is something that you want to keep, have a backup. CD-Rs are great for an archive copy. Another consideration would be maintaining signatures. There are some things that you may want to keep in the paper form . . . yea if you don’t have a scanner. Bottom line is ensure your records however maintained are accurate. As you progress up the diving chain to instructor you will find yourself listing the students at a particular dive and the like as you expand the automated log. Possibilities limited only by your imagination.
Subscribed
atomic333 - 3/06/2007 11:41 PM
That`s what I`m noticing about the data I can record in my PC and then print. As much as I want to enter there it will be. This is my first dive computer and the Oceanic VT3 I`m using has, down to, a 2 sec. sampling rate of elapsed time, depth, tissue loading, PO2%, PSI, ascent rate, temperature, and dive time remaining according to some Oceanic algorithm and puts it into a spreadsheet like you`re saying. Also there`s a pretty comprehinsive one page dive details w/ a bar graph that is comparable to a log book page. I think I`m going to keepup w/ my CD backups and print my current dives as necessary. And I can see the advantage of the thorough logging as I progress in my certifications.
RAWalker - 10/14/2007 4:20 PM
I use a Oceanic VT3 computer and download to my computer after each trip. I have made the concession of a hardcopy log book and just print out the computer log, punch holes in the sheet and add it to the logbook. Since the software allows me to manually add dives not logged by the computer I have done so. With all the dives accounted for I print out a new summary page after any updates and add it to the front of my logbook. Anyone that needs to know my experience can look at that first page and get enough info to justify my present PADI C card. (AOW)