Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Dive tatoos
Kami - 7/08/2008 11:53 PM
Category: General
Replies: 22

My husband has a Texas with a dive flag in it tatooed on his wrist in honor of his love for diving. I have a few ideas in mind for my dive tatoo. Anyone else out there have dive related tats that they wear or wish for???
dalehall - 7/09/2008 12:37 AM

I’m actually trying to decide whether or not to "go for it" on my dive tat. I’m wanting to get an underwater scene with a manatee or shark on my right calf. The wife hates tats (I already have two) and I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the repercussions I’m going to have to endure if I get it. :)

Dale
mzambrzy - 7/09/2008 12:42 PM
I got a big shark in front of a dive flag on my shoulder blade. Out of the 6 that I have this one is definitly my favorite. I always get comments and its a good conversation starter :-)
Subscribed
Kami - 7/09/2008 4:17 PM

I think that is one of the great things about having one that is visible most of the time. Someone else sees that dive flag and knows what it means, you find people that dive that you never would have known were divers otherwise.

As far as "getting in trouble"...I say go for it..lol. It isnt the worst thing you could do. Just dont get it anywhere above the neck!
DarkDiver - 7/09/2008 5:33 PM
Just do it Dale! I have the frog from AO. I plan on adding an underwater scene as well with coral, fish and turtles. It’s probably going to end up as a quarter sleve maybe to my elbo. Go for it Bro!
badintexas - 7/09/2008 7:10 PM

Dale.. GO FOR IT! I don’t have any dive tattoos but I am working on another one that I hope to get very soon. My question is WHERE is a good place to get it? I have one on my ankle already but with my next one.. not sure. I substitute teach at my kiddo’s school so it can’t be TOO visible.. (back shoulder blade? other ankle? I’m not sure) Where do other ladies (and guys) have them?
dalehall - 7/09/2008 9:22 PM

Wow, Great Dive Buddies.
But, Bad Peer Pressure. LOL!!!
Thanks for the input.
If I do go for it, I’ll be sure to post a pic of it.

Dale
Divinandjeeps - 7/09/2008 9:47 PM
I have Poseiden holding a dive flag on my back....think i have pics up....check it out!
Detz - 7/09/2008 10:09 PM

The wife hates tats (I already have two) and I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the repercussions I’m going to have to endure if I get it. :)
Did your wife go w/ you when you got your other tat’s? If not have her go w/ you on this one she might like it. Or give her a gift 2 "butter her up" and then tell her you got a tat. Might work
polarbear - 7/09/2008 10:54 PM
ok i dont have a dive tat yet but plan to get one in the future. but if ya look at my pics i think the one is up of my right arm sleeve. i think i am going to do a thigh piece with a dive flag and with a skull ghosting though the back side of it with some sort of somoan tribal art rapping around my leg. i was going to do this tat with my rugby mascot when i played back a few years ago but never got around to it so now it will be dive tat time.
polarbear - 7/09/2008 10:59 PM
hey dale just as mj and nike would say "just do it". maybe if you talk with her and have her join in on the picking out the style and size and placement of it she may grow to like them.
Bonnielynn - 7/09/2008 11:18 PM
I have a manta ray on my left ankle, a beautiful angelfish on my left hip and an awesome shark on my left shoulder blade. I’m trying to decide what to get next !
two4diving - 7/10/2008 7:55 AM
I have a lightning bolt on my shoulder from when I was 16, it was a locals only surf thing. I want to cover it with purple coral and an orange seahorse.
dalehall - 7/10/2008 12:45 PM

The idea of making her part of the process is an excellent idea. Unfortunately, with her, it won’t work. She detests the idea of them and will, at times, make a slight remark when she sees either of my other two. One I got 10 years before I met her, the other while "We were on a break." She’s not very "bribe-able" because of her ethics, but that would come closer to working that anything I’ve thought of so far. :) Keep the ideas coming folks, this fun. (And gonna cause me trouble..LOL)
OLDFART - 7/10/2008 1:35 PM

I don’t want to burst anyone’s bubble,but tatoos don’t last. I got a bunch when I was in the navy 64-68 and they are all so faded you can’t tell what they are. I guess 40 years is a bargin. When I got them I was usually three sheets and no I don’t want to get them recolored. If I had that kind of money I would buy dive equipment or camera equipment. The most any one of them cost was $10. Hey, I didn’t listen either and my son’s didn’t either. Enjoy while you can.

polarbear - 7/10/2008 9:49 PM

I don’t want to burst anyone’s bubble,but tatoos don’t last. I got a bunch when I was in the navy 64-68 and they are all so faded you can’t tell what they are. I guess 40 years is a bargin. When I got them I was usually three sheets and no I don’t want to get them recolored. If I had that kind of money I would buy dive equipment or camera equipment. The most any one of them cost was $10. Hey, I didn’t listen either and my son’s didn’t either. Enjoy while you can.

sorry about the tats fading but now a days the inks use in tatoos are much different than when you got them. there are even inks that are invisible unless under a black light. so the chances of tatoos fading are much less greater than they use to be but you still must take care of them by keeping sunblock on the the sun is the most damaging thing. dale there you go get the invisible ink that way she does not have to see it but in the right lighting it would look really cool.
OLDFART - 7/11/2008 10:58 AM

Deja vu. Where did I hear that before? Thats is exactly what I was told in my day. JUST WAIT! Your body and the sun distroys the ink. Black is the only ink thats holds and that doesn’t hold to well. I am not telling you not to get them, get as many as your body will hold, but dig me up and let me know how they look in forty years.

Tom
Gwen - 7/11/2008 12:05 PM
I am getting my first dive tattoo soon. It is being drawn out right now. I am getting a dive flag, but instead of the white line it will be a shark passing through. I am really excited. I already have a dolphin on one of my ankles and this will be on the other.
dalehall - 7/11/2008 12:11 PM

I am getting my first dive tattoo soon. It is being drawn out right now. I am getting a dive flag, but instead of the white line it will be a shark passing through. I am really excited. I already have a dolphin on one of my ankles and this will be on the other.

That should look really cool!! Be sure to post a pic...
Black light tattoo ink?? Never heard of it.. But, that would look awesome!!! Kinda like when I painted my college dorm room with "Wisk" and water.. Same thing..
-heidi-o - 7/11/2008 8:16 PM
I plan on getting some cave arrows... sometime soon...
-heidi-o - 7/11/2008 8:21 PM

i have 7 tattoos..and i used to work in a tattoo shop. All of mine are well hidden even when wearing a t-shirt, tennis shoes, and shorts.. it is possible... alot of women came in and got them on the tops of their feet, shoulder blades, breast, thigh, umm.. i don’t really have a nice way to say this but there’s a lot that came in and got one right below the button on their pants... the lower back is a popular place... also the base of the neck... if you wear your hair down no one sees it depending on how long your hair is.

i hope this helped..

-heidi-
dalehall - 7/12/2008 6:14 AM

I plan on getting some cave arrows... sometime soon...

Are you going incorporate them into a scene or just have the arrows? Where are you putting them?
Subscribed
Kami - 7/12/2008 2:54 PM
I got my first tattoo when I was 18 and I am 34 now. I dont have a lot, 5 total...but they are just random things. I have always wanted to find a way to incorporate them into a theme and have decided to do a water theme. I have a dolphin and then a design on my left shoulder blade that I want to cover and my zodiac on my right shoulder blade that I could fit into a design on ships anchor or something. I have a small tribal on my left ankle which would be easy enough to turn into coral because it is small, wavey and faded as it was my first tat. The only one I am not sure I could fit into a water theme is my dragon. It is on my right ankle and it is big and brightly colored. I like it and wouldnt want to cover it even if I could...which I dont think it could be covered. It is actually a cover up of a smaller tat already. Maybe turn it into a sea-dragon?? Make his tail more a of fin and have bubbles coming out of his nose?? Now I just need a money tree to grow in my back yard so I can afford all the ink and all the new scuba toys I want to buy...