Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Death of a diver
divingbear - 2/09/2016 2:35 PM
Category: General
Replies: 9

I was on a beautiful tropical dive vacation recently when one of the divers on our charter had what the corner describe as a massive heart attach and died, no cpr or O2 therapy could have brought this diver back. Was witnessed by the few (3) that were on the dive. We had to wait until another boat came to assist us in the recovery, then police interviews etc. I elected to dive the following days as there was no negligence on the dive center nor divers, just a tragic event on my vacation..
I’ve since been called a ghoul and such, but I did not know this person (more then that day and I did assist in recovery) it was a tragedy yes but to what extent I ask, should I have not dived because the deceased chose an in water moment to die instead of McDonald’s? Am I wrong?
I had some of the best dives post death as I have had before,it didn’t affect me in the least (a risk we all know we partake in as divers) until I’ve told the story to non divers and been ridiculed as heartless.
I know unless you are in a situation like this you cannot answer truly, but was I wrong? I enjoy diving, so did the the dead person (they had been diving since the early 80’s 1000’s of dives under their belt).
I’m not looking for forgiveness but a divers point of view as I’ve not encountered this in my personal life nor diving life before.. What would have you done as a diver that has a 4-6 dive a day passion when on vacation with a diver that you only met that day, no responsibility to anyone but the grim reaper, would you have kept diving or called all of the subsequent dives in the name of the dead (doing what they loved)?
I’ll be interested in hearing your opinions...
Thanks
Ben
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 2/09/2016 3:57 PM
No you were not wrong.
That said only you know if you were impacted by the death and in the correct state of mind to dive. I have seen horrific body mutilations that have impacted me days after the event - in those types of situations I would not dive and would caution anyone to seek help
Subscribed
lerpy - 2/09/2016 4:19 PM
Hey there Ben, first, tough situation and it is unfortunate that you were involved in the death insomuch that you were present at the time. I have been in the same situation, as a diver/crew member on a boat. I work for a boat, but on this particular day I was diving instead of "working", and a diver passed. Myself along with others got the diver out of the water, and preformed CPR until the boat rendezvoused with EMS. Went through the same as you, we were held for several hours, interviewed statements etc. It was a log boat ride back, especially with the deceased divers friends all on the boat, and having the word that he had indeed passed.

A second diver death, although I was not there, was a friend of mine, a guy that took me under his wing if you will, after I got certified and helped me a lot with my diving skill, understanding, and a equipment. I did a dive with him of an evening, and the next day he did a dive and he passed. Both of these cases were heart attacks, nothing indicated that the dive caused the death, gear or otherwise, that just when the heart attack happened.

When my friend passed, I didn’t dive for about a week. I was shaken, I was new to diving, and I was personally attached to the diver, he was a friend, I knew his fiancé, and his future sister in law was a good friend, so it affected me deeply and personally. However, he would not have wanted me to quit diving, nor would he expect me to not dive for X period of time, it was my choice when I went back in the water. To this day I use several pieces of his gear, so I guess in a way he still dives with me.

The other incident, I was in the water two days later, it was my regular dive day when I get together with my buddies and we dive. The death shook me, and I carry it with me even to this day, but I didn’t not see a reason to not go diving.

A third event, I was in Fla doing training for a week, and on my first day of training, a diver came up and collapsed and ultimately passed. It was sad, it is tragic, and it shakes you, but I continued my week of diving.

I don’t think you are heartless because you continued with your dive trip. It was just a tragic event on your vacation, tragic events take place all the time and we can’t change everything because they do. I am driving to Fla next week, if there is a fatal car crash that I see, I am not turning around and going home, if a plane crashes the morning I am flying somewhere, I am not cancelling my flight. To some it may seem heartless, but personally I do not see it that way. To continue with your vacation does not change the tragic events of what happened to that diver and his friends and family. I think the best thing you can do, as I have done with the deaths I have seen or been involved with, is to continue have continued with your dive trip, but reflect on the events, and use them as a learning tool. Since my friend passing, and being involved in the other diver death, I take more care of myself, I pay more attention to my cadio health and things like that.

Sorry this is a long ramble, maybe sometimes voicing experience such as this is good, and I am sure you will do several times, as the reality it probably has affected you in some manner. But in short, your not heartless, just witness to tragic events, and I am sure regardless of you continuing your dives, you have reflected on this and recognize the tragedy for this man and his family.
Curtis - 2/09/2016 7:49 PM
Ignore the "ghoul" comments.

Death is the end of all lives, his came doing something he enjoyed.

If it was a friend or good aquaintance, then I could see pausing to mourn. But seeing a relative stranger pass on in a way you and others could not stop, well, accepting it and continuing to live your own life is what I would consider normal.
Subscribed
BillParker - 2/09/2016 7:55 PM
You were there to dive and there’s no reason not to continue your dive trip.The show must go on.
Eric_R - 2/09/2016 8:48 PM
Dying is apart of living. Any diver would have wanted the dives to go on. Our days here on this earth are short and just because one person can’t be there to enjoy it doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t Dive on!
Subscribed
ram04769 - 2/10/2016 12:10 AM
So sorry to hear of this happening during your vacation. But, you did the right thing. As you said, you were there to assist and did your part to the best of your abilities. Therefore, you had nothing to be shameful for. Death is the final act of everyone’s life and we will all eventually go through it. Live life to the fullest and dive on.
Subscribed
divingbear - 2/10/2016 2:58 PM
Thank you all for the replies, sounds like exactly what I expected to here from fellow divers we are only here for a short time so dive.
That being said it was a heck of a log book entire and a dive I will not forget..
Thanks all, keep diving and be safe.
Subscribed
LanaS - 2/11/2016 6:44 PM
Heartless? Not at all. If I had only met the person that day on a boat, they wouldn’t be a friend (yet). It’s sad and I’d say a prayer for them, and dive the next day. What would be accomplished by cancelling my dive? I couldn’t change what happened, no matter how bad I felt.