Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Advice on using GoPro Cameras
Caloosa - 12/27/2015 9:13 AM
Category: Photography
Replies: 10

I just received a nice Christmas gift of a new GoPro Hero 4 Silver camera...I’ve seen GoPros being used many times during dive trips over the last few years. I’ve always used a Sea Life Camera with strobes, so this GoPro is all new to me. I’ve seen divers wear it on their heads and also using it on a short pole. I’m also concerned about the quality of lighting levels without a strobe at depth, as well as the advertised depth of 131’. And of course, any safety precautions any of you take to prevent accidental loss underwater of the device...any advice and tips on your experiences would be appreciated. Thanks and a Happy New Year to all my DiveBuddy.com Buddies.
Subscribed
dalehall - 12/28/2015 7:53 AM
Mine has been down well past 100 on multiple occasions and down to 130’ once with no issues. You do need filters and a good strobe would help with the lighting. One thing to note, the GoPro has a VERY wide angle on it. Whenever I try to take, what I think is a close up shot, it’s still pretty far way. I have gotten to the point where I use the GoPro for video and I use another cheap setup for my stills. I wear the GoPro on my head and carry the still camera. I have seen rigs where people mount their GoPro and their Still (Sealife or whatever) on the same bar with strobes. Now you have your still camera and your video on the dive, but only one thing to carry and operate. Good luck with it. I think you’re going like the simplicity and the video quality of the GoPro. I love mine!!
Subscribed
Caloosa - 12/28/2015 9:20 AM
Thanks for the input...I’m planning on getting filters and might look into either a pole mount and/some type of hand held platform.
Eric_R - 12/28/2015 1:09 PM
From Caloosa: Thanks for the input...I’m planning on getting filters and might look into either a pole mount and/some type of hand held platform.
That’s great keeping it off your head is the best option. Try not to make super long recordings as it saves on editing time later. 10 seconds says a lot.
bustem55 - 12/29/2015 10:45 AM
The Gopro is great. That being said, there are some obvious draw backs with mounting. The head mount is great for a "POV" dive, however, once you stop moving, the exhaust bubbles tend to obscure the view. Also with the head mount if you are constantly moving your head, so is the camera image and tends to be shaky. Pole mount is good and a variable length pole allows you to adjust to get closer to subject without spooking. There is a new lighting system out for use with the Gopro which is called the Sidekick. It has variable power settings and is 600 lumens at its brightest setting. It offers spot, flood and a combo spot/flood setting. The system comes with two mounting options and for around $150.00 it is a low cost option.

Good luck and happy diving!
Subscribed
lerpy - 12/29/2015 11:54 AM
I have one of the head mounts for my gopro, the headband that Gopro makes and my only advice is to make another tether for it, or put the head band on, then a hood over top. I have had it pulled off by current or flow. As well with it mounted on your head, you will see that you tend to move your head a lot when you are diving, but it does make for a good POV.
Subscribed
vic139 - 12/29/2015 1:03 PM
I have had my Gopro a few years but still learning. If like me you do not have a lot of forehead the head strap does not work. I received a glove mount for it and my pictures have improved. still learn what lakes not to waste time even taking the camera.
bustem55 - 12/29/2015 4:54 PM
There are Gopro masks for purchase as well that work quite well. U can see it in my profile pic. I have the headband but as Lerpy stated, current and what not will work it off you head and you wont even know it. If ya go that route, tether is, in my opinion, not an option but a must!
Subscribed
JeffQCScuba - 12/31/2015 12:36 PM
I sell a ton of GOPRO and have been diving various versions and confiigs of GOPRO for quite a few years. I have had every version of GOPRO deeper than the advertised max depth without any incident. The dive housing actually performed well (and I was still able to use buttons) on the wreck of the Andrea Doria (max 250’). You can see some video here of that dive (without any post correction):

facebook.com/qcscuba/videos/1021926081153892/?au...=0&app_id=2392950137

That video was taken with a GOPRO 3+ on a light and motion tray with 2 SOLA 1200 lights.
Would be happy to answer any other questions you may have.
Safe Diving & Happy New Year to all!