Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Is it a good idea to attach mask to bc?
dshuber - 12/19/2015 12:04 PM
Category: General
Replies: 7

I have been diving in high current areas over the last year, Palau, Raja Ampat. There is always a good debate on whether to attach one’s dive mask to your BC. I know we all went through the test with the mask off but when you are down at 100 ft and lose your mask and your buddy isn’t close to get it, I expect it can be very concerning. What do you all think?
m_grieco - 12/19/2015 4:44 PM
I think you’d be creating more of a hazard trying to attach a mask to you BCD and it’s worth. I’ve dove in many high current situations, never did I feel my mask would every come off my face. Diving with divers unaware of others around them...that’s a different story. In that case, I do my best to give myself space, and if they happen to be my buddy (and I need to keep them close due to low visibility situations) I just try and be mindful that my mask or even my regulator might get kicked or grabbed with a hand inadvertently, it’s just an inherent risk we take when we go down, giving others space I think will give you peace of mind at least with the destinations you mentioned as they all have great visibility.
Subscribed
SeaGoat - 12/19/2015 5:57 PM
I’ve never heard of anyone diving with their mask attached though I do keep mine clipped to my BC if I’m doing an entry in rough surf.

Do you have a floating mask strap? Marsoops makes a good one. It has kept me from losing my mask several times.
Subscribed
dshuber - 12/20/2015 11:31 AM
Thank you very much guys. I just found this website and the reason I joined was to ask this question. I can’t believe I got so many so fast. I will get a small mask and put it my BC pocket for piece of mind.
Subscribed
diverray - 12/22/2015 7:19 PM
Welcome to the site, and thanks for joining. You will find many experienced divers here, who will be happy to help with any questions.
Subscribed
Btrax - 12/25/2015 11:17 AM
I always carry a spare. Just in case me or my buddy loses one.
Subscribed
lerpy - 12/29/2015 12:01 PM
I am all for carrying a spare as well, it is a good practice to have it and to actually practice taking your mask off, getting your backup out and putting it on.