Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Best places to dive in california?
cgodley - 12/09/2015 6:19 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 10

hey, I’m British and heading on a road trip from LA to San Fran and then through a few places to Denver in about may-june time next year. as I just got my PADI open water earlier this year I’d quite like to do at least one dive while I’m in Cali. I’m heading from LA to San Fran via the coast road so anywhere on that route would be great, cheers. Additionally does anyone know if diving in the Rockies or any of the lakes in Colorado is any good?
Dive buddies for that time also welcome but I gather most people post those closer to the time..
Smithsgold - 12/09/2015 11:03 PM
Monterey has some nice places to dive !!!
Smithsgold - 12/10/2015 12:00 PM
Catalina is super nice and Lake Tahoe is always a good clear dive !!!!
Subscribed
john_f - 12/11/2015 4:27 PM
+1 for Catalina
Subscribed
Norm4fun60 - 1/08/2016 2:18 PM
Channel Islands are great take a short live-aboard trip i suggest the Sand Dollar boat or the Pacific Star boat you can google them for more info.

Monterrey is great go to Bamboo Reef Scuba to make a reservation for a guided tour they are great I have had Adam Lester as a guide a few times hes great. Point Loos is a preserve and has great sea-life but you need a reservation to dive there but its easy to sigh up for.

Hope this helps

Norm
Subscribed
Norm4fun60 - 1/08/2016 2:19 PM
That was supposed to be Point Lobos
Hawkeye54 - 1/09/2016 10:38 AM
My suggestions have all been covered! Although I’ll throw out there that Truth Aquatics out of Santa Barbara runs great 2-3 and 4 day liveaboard trips to the Channel Islands. They also have a "Frequent Diver" program where you book five days, you get a day trip free.

You can find decent shore dives just about anywhere there’s shelter from the Pacific swell and not a lot of runoff. :)
Hawkeye54 - 1/09/2016 10:41 AM
PS - California is moderately cold water diving, with water temps normally in the 50’s (Fahrenheit). Most dive centers will have 7mm wetsuit rentals. Happy diving!
Subscribed
JMPdiver - 3/04/2016 6:57 PM
does anyone know how California diving compares to New England diving? I’ve mainly been diving off of Cape Cod, with a few dives in the Florida keys, and Miami.
Subscribed
Norm4fun60 - 3/07/2016 11:24 AM
California diving in the Kelp forests on a sunny day with decent visibility is spectacular. Lots to see and very abundant life. I have had harbour seals dive with me the whole dive like their a dive buddy. The water temp is the only drawback being in the 50 to 58 F range. There are many shore diving spots in Monterey with varied sea life. Get a guide so you can just relax and enjoy the dive.