Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Need Dive Operator Recommendations for Cozumel, Belize and Roatan
TioJoe - 11/22/2015 9:17 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 8

Hello all,

Taking a Carnival cruise end of January with stops in Cozumel, Belize and Roatan on successive days.

Carnival has cooperating dive shops, but I am trying to find independents who would or could include transportation from the ship or tender docks to their shop.

I am a brand new certified and my companion has made only one dive on her certificate.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Joe
sandman2053 - 11/23/2015 7:11 PM
I would just use Carnival’s excursions myself, especially as new divers. I did a cruise about 8 years ago with a new diver and the companys they used then were fantastic.
Subscribed
Agojo - 11/24/2015 7:23 AM
Agree with sandman, as a new diver use Carnival shore excursion. In CZM they get you at the pier where you pull in and boat you a short distance to their shop for rental gear if needed. In CZM by law or mutual agreements a dive operator can’t take business away from the taxi’s. Did same cruise you mentioned in May 2015 and was 3 hours late getting tied to pier due to currents. My advance private dive wasn’t going to happen so ended up on the Carnival dive to be sure of getting wet. Did Carnival snorkel in Belize and Carnival snuba in Roatan, both with non-diver wife, wouldn’t recommend either of those. Dive in CZM was OK, about 8 divers on the boat.
Subscribed
TioJoe - 11/24/2015 9:37 AM
Thank you both for the comment and advice.

Joe
sandman2053 - 11/26/2015 11:07 AM
I did those 3 ports plus Grand Cayman in October 2005 on Carnival.
Although I wanted to dive the blue hole un Belize my ex wanted to do a hike n tub ride which was cool.
In Roatan we went to Anthony’s Key Resort, they were fantastic. One of the best charters I’ve been on. We dove #15 Green outhouse wall and #24 Barry’s Reef.
In Cozumel the dive was right by the boat. Dove Santa Rosa Reef and Paradise Reef, which were both spectacular.
I was a seasoned diver, my ex only had 2 previous ocean dives and we both had a good time.
Subscribed
krimney - 1/06/2016 11:22 PM
Seasports in Belize city is about a 5 minute walk from the cruise terminal area. I have dove with them while on a cruise stop and they made sure I got back to the ship on time. Have not dove the other ports while cruising so can not comment. Did go to Anthony’s Key so the wife and kids could swim with the dolphins and it seemed like a nice location.
Subscribed
scubadivingnomad - 1/20/2016 9:23 AM
Joe:
I have done a number of cruises where I dove at each port. I have done both independent and ship excursion. I would suggest taking the shore excursion as a new diver. The one thing I would verify before hand is if the diving is done from the same boat as snorkeling tours. Most are not but I have seen some that are. I have not been on Carnival lately so I do not know their procedures.

Charles
Subscribed
Smithsgold - 6/15/2016 3:38 PM
so how was your trip ?