> Dual Wrecks - great dive but access is very limited - Long Branch NJ
> Malta - Belmar NJ - not much of a wreck
> Allenhurst Jetty - Allenhurst NJ - easy access
> Lizzie H. Brayton - Point Pleasant NJ - dont know
> Bluffs Wreck - Bayhead NJ - dont know
> Pliiny Wreck - Deal NJ - Deal is tough on diving
> Western World Wreck - Spring Lake NJ - need written permission
> Old Ponquogue Bridge - Hamptons LI - Good dive from what I hear

Maybe we could pick a site and do some research - Maclearie is good but it might be time to try a new site...
Subscribed
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 8/17/2015 5:12 AM
If we chose the Inlet everyone needs to be careful with the times and changing of the current. You dont want to be caught in the inlet when you should be out... That said I have had some really good dives in the inlet and I would be up for either side (A St or Ocean Ave).
Subscribed
m_grieco - 8/17/2015 8:06 AM
I’ve only dove the A street side, it was my first NJ dive so I’d love to explore there more as I didn’t venture too far the first time. I mentioned this idea to Ray last time we tried to dive there (vis was so bad we ended up calling the dive) but maybe if we entered the water just prior to the slack tide, entered the water closer to the bridge, did a drift dive up the inlet as the tide was still coming up, then when the tide got slack, explore the surrounding rocks by A street/First Ave. I checked out Old Ponquogue Bridge online (some YouTube videos) looks neat, visibility looked about 15-20 feet when the water got deeper, so if nothing else we’d have nice visibility even if the marine life is very similar to here. It’s almost a 3 hour drive up for me...maybe if we did that site we could stay over and do dives back to back days. I looked up a diveshop in the area (Hampton Dive Center) and they are doing a dive on that bridge on Sunday September 20th at 1:38 pm. They do a BBQ on the beach, sounds like a nice opportunity do maybe head up there. Some food for thought for that date. But I’d like to do something else a bit more local before that time for sure.
Subscribed
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 8/17/2015 9:28 AM
I have dove both sides but by the bridge on the Ocean Ave side - it has lattice work between the bridge and side wall with some deep areas that fish hang out but looks very safe - I did not go between the lattice work as I was solo at the time and did not need the extra stress...

That said on the A Street side - I have heard stories and seen some rebar (steel rods in concrete) that are protruding out from under the bridge and towards the ocean side concrete / bulkheads - that is the only caution as I have never ventured from A Street to under the bridge and beyond. So from a safety standpoint if we want to drift - Ocean Ave appears to be the cleanest and safest side to drift. With the currents and possibility that someone gets hung up on rebar - I am not sure how long it would take to get back to that point and render assistance - this could be completely overblown by me but in a drift dive I think we want safety first... or explore under the bridge on the A side to confirm or debunk the potential hazards... It gets about 30 feet by the bridge but I dont know how far down the rebar protrusions extend...

More than happy to do some exploration and recons of the site before we do the drift.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 8/17/2015 1:14 PM
From DiverfromBaskingRidge: That said on the A Street side - I have heard stories and seen some rebar (steel rods in concrete) that are protruding out from under the bridge

Actually the rebar is just west of the bridge, maybe 20’, I’ve made it that far a few times and didn’t see it while in the water but it’s right at the surface at low tide :( BTW, your compass won’t work under the bridge, I don’t know if it’s all of the steel or the magnets in the motor.

> Dual Wrecks - great dive but access is very limited - Long Branch NJ This is my favorite but surf dependent. I do have a cart that will hold one set of gear, this may require a few trips!
> Malta - Belmar NJ - not much of a wreck I’ve never done this.
> Allenhurst Jetty - Allenhurst NJ - easy access. Ditto on the easy access but we would need to do this later after the tourist leave, otherwise parking can be an issue. Our club always did this in the fall and here I have seen sharks.
> Lizzie H. Brayton - Point Pleasant NJ - don’t know. I think the last time we did this it was buried :(
> Bluffs Wreck - Bayhead NJ - dont know. Hit or miss, sometimes it’s covered, once it was 20’ inside the hull.
> Pliiny Wreck - Deal NJ - Deal is tough on diving. I don’t think I’ve done this.
> Western World Wreck - Spring Lake NJ - need written permission. Easy, stop at police station, show c-card, fill out wavier but last time there it was mostly buried but then I’m sure Sandy moved a lot of sand around all of these and we won’t know for better or worse until we dive them.
> Old Ponquogue Bridge - Hamptons LI - Good dive from what I hear I did this but that’s a long drive, we may need to car pool.
Subscribed
BeekeeperGreg - 8/17/2015 1:30 PM
I am back from Maine, Nice vis in the colder water, no algae bloom up North.
Open to anything, especially the jetties and inlets.
My boat is good if the ocean is calm-3 diver limit.
Greg
Subscribed
SaltyBones - 8/20/2015 5:54 AM
I just checked with one of the ex-police chiefs from Spring Lake for the Western World Wreck. He said you can now almost walk out to it due to the beach replenishment from Sandy and would be worth our time.
Subscribed
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 8/20/2015 6:39 AM
Ok cross West World Wreck off the list...
Subscribed
m_grieco - 8/27/2015 5:42 PM
Any dates/times floating around for a next dive? I am down with A street/First ave of Shark River Inlet...I did hear a report of a shark there earlier this year (guys at my local dive shop mentioned it to me) apparently one of their customers was spearfishing there and his shot fish (mostly fluke) brought in one of the "locals". I am good for a night dive, or if we want to do a Sunday or Monday day/afternoon dive after Labor Day I am down for that too. Tested out the 7 mm suit...nice and toasty, just hung out at about 30 ft at my secret local gear testing area (had 15 to 20 feet of visibility).
Subscribed
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 8/27/2015 7:17 PM
I have been business traveling the last two weeks... just got back tonight...

Want to dive so is there a time / place anyone wants to throw out? This week next week?

I am game for a dive...
Subscribed
BeekeeperGreg - 8/28/2015 4:55 AM
Vis reports are not good, but that never stopped me.
Considering a Sunday Morning dive, salt water if vis is OK.
Worst case, the wife and I will dive Round Valley and hope for better vis in the ocean on Labor day weekend.
Greg
Subscribed
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 8/29/2015 6:28 AM
High Tides are a bit off this weekend - Saturday Night High Tide 8:03 PM and Sunday Night High Tide 8:53 PM.
I have no idea if that storm hitting Florida will find its way up here next week would could really ruin the viz...
Round Valley could be a good alternative for next week.
Subscribed
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 8/29/2015 6:49 PM
Went with my son tonight and called the dive - about 1.5 foot viz - could barely see 3 steps down on the Maclearie steps... First time this year I have called a dive for viz... Was bound to happen sooner or later...

Went by Allenhurst Jetty and 2 to 3 foot rollers were crashing into the jetty - did not look safe...