Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Looking for Dry Suit Course Anywhere
SolidAhmad - 8/02/2015 4:15 AM
Category: Training
Replies: 4

I am planning to travel this September and I plan to go to a cold place to do a dry suit course and have good time. My first find was Silfra in Iceland, Iceland on it’s own is an amazing vacation destination, but so far I am not getting responses from dive centers there (Dive.Is & Scuba Iceland).

So now I am expanding my options. Anywhere in the world, If you know a guaranteed dive center, work in or own one, that does a dry suit course in a great dive site, recommend it for me please.

Preferably in Europe as I already have visa for the Schengen area. But I am still open to go anywhere if it is really worth it.
Subscribed
diverray - 8/21/2015 10:38 AM
My dry suit course was in Northern California, where water temps were 54 degrees F/12 c. I would think the skills needed to dive in very much colder water (I am assuming Iceland water is colder than that) would be significantly different. So, even if you get certified in another, less frigid area, you may still need an update training for Iceland?
Let us know how it works out for you.
Subscribed
SolidAhmad - 10/06/2015 12:14 AM
From Eric_R: I would get your dry suit training in familiar waters first then take those skills to the frigid location and enjoy.

Thanks for the Advice, I have actually done that and got certified in Cyprus. Now I will see how it goes in the cold waters of iceland
Subscribed
SolidAhmad - 10/06/2015 12:20 AM
From diverray: My dry suit course was in Northern California, where water temps were 54 degrees F/12 c. I would think the skills needed to dive in very much colder water (I am assuming Iceland water is colder than that) would be significantly different. So, even if you get certified in another, less frigid area, you may still need an update training for Iceland?Let us know how it works out for you.

I just got my drysuit certificate in Cyprus, you are completely right, I think I will need an update training for Iceland. I didn’t feel the cold in cyprus, hence I didn’t need to inflate my dry suit much, In Iceland however I will need to inflate my suit a lot more, so I will need to readjust, add a lot more weight and rework my buoyancy. I am going there by the end of October, will see how it goes, thanks for your contribution.