August 1st - Night Dive Maclearie Park - Belmar NJ
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 7/25/2015 10:22 AM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 13

Anyone interested in a night dive at Maclearie Park - Belmar NJ on Saturday 8/1?

Looking to meet up in the parking lot closest to the stairs and get in the water by 8pm (HT is at 9:12pm) - that will give us a long slow dive. Lately seahorses have been on the menu - but you never know what you will find - crabs, small fluke (summer flounder) lately, eels and other critters brought up by Gulf Stream. Dont forget Flags and dive lights but when we buddy up only one dive flag will be needed. For those that have not been here before it is a rather shallow dive site but the sea life makes up for the shallow water and long dive times.

Would like to meet around 7:30pm for anyone interested - take our time getting geared up but would like to hit the water early so we can get a good dive in.
Depending on schedules we can alter the above but thought I would throw this out first.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 7/25/2015 4:25 PM
I’m game and I have an extra light or two if anyone needs a loaner.
Subscribed
m_grieco - 7/25/2015 4:26 PM
I’m planning on making this too.
Subscribed
m_grieco - 7/25/2015 4:28 PM
Might take me a bit too get there as I work this Saturday, but will bring the gear with me and head straight down after work.
Subscribed
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 7/25/2015 6:27 PM
Great - meet in the parking lot at Maclearie Park...
Subscribed
m_grieco - 7/25/2015 8:30 PM
know the spot, Ray and I have dove there a few times before.
Subscribed
LatitudeAdjustment - 7/26/2015 4:40 AM
Mike it won’t be any darker on the bottom and the lights will make it easier to find one another :)
Subscribed
m_grieco - 7/26/2015 6:47 AM
Just hoping my camera cooperates this time around.
Subscribed
BeekeeperGreg - 7/30/2015 6:01 PM
Carl,
Wish I could go. We’ll get out one of these days.
Tied up for the next few weeks.
I hope the vis gets better.
Greg
Subscribed
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 7/31/2015 5:18 AM
All good - next time. Should be a few folks out there from scubaboard as well to meet and greet.
Subscribed
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 8/02/2015 6:15 AM
Turns out we had a group of 11 divers from all over. Several from Scubaboard and DiveBuddy came out for the meet and greet at Maclearie Park - some first timers to the back bay and several veterans. We split into pairs and had a solo diver - everyone got to see a few seahorses, eels, horseshoe crabs, rock crabs, fluke (summer flounder), cornet or trumpet fish (I always get the name wrong), and lots more - some to be identified later.

Seemed like everyone had an hour or longer on the dive - I had an average 6.7 feet with a 12 foot maximum, temperature was 65 degree minimum but generally warmer at 6 to 8 feet. No one got lost - a really easy dive to see some excellent critters and have a laugh or two. Everyone seemed to be willing to do this again - so we can rally again in the near future - tide permitting. I will try to post some video later if it comes out ok...

Good job to all that came out and if you are lurking and want an easy dive with seahorses - come on out next time... :-)
Subscribed
DiverfromBaskingRidge - 8/02/2015 9:07 AM
Here is the best I could get from the footage - I had to mount the GoPro to my dive light which was too bright but I was pulling the dive flag, looking for critters and helping a new Dive Buddy with Maclearie Park...
All in all a good dive and a few laughs along the way...

youtu.be/JIDjOE7twOI
Subscribed
KDAD - 8/03/2015 8:24 AM
I was there Saturday night - great dive and nice to meet some more dive buddies. Thanks SaltyDog for the dive. I found an Aqualung Surelock weight pouch in the water if anyone lost one or knows of someone who did. Had to kick the blue claw crab off of it - he was up on his hind flippers scratching his back on it. Also had a little fun carrying all the extra weight!
Subscribed
BeekeeperGreg - 8/03/2015 10:08 AM
Kevin,

I lost a Surelock last weekend ( PT Pleasant RR Bridge). If no one claims it I would buy it from you.
Glade to hear that the Vis improved.
Greg