Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Safe Scuba Diving for young ones
hch4030 - 3/17/2015 6:52 PM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 3

Does anyone know of a safe spot my daughter could scuba dive being 9 years old, other then a pool, with her PADI Scuba Seal Cert?

She has experienced the pool several times, and I want to keep her active. Only looking for a shallow safe dive!

Thanks for your help!
Greg - 3/17/2015 8:39 PM
At 9 years old, I would not recommend anything other than a shallow pool. The PADI Seal program also states it must be conducted in a confined environment...which pretty much means a pool.
Subscribed
tstormdiver - 3/18/2015 6:55 AM
By any training agency standards, a child under 9 yrs old can not be on scuba outside of a special training session (like PADI’s Seals or SSI’s Ranger programs) in a pool or strictly confined water (pool like conditions). Any dive professional taking a child under 10 yrs old on an open water dive can & should have their credentials pulled. Is your child’s safety worth the risks? It is only 1 more year, then she can participate in a junior open water course & be able to safely dive to 40 ft. The water is not going anywhere, be patient. Put her in another Seal program or have her do some more Discover scubas or even, just snorkel with her,.... in the mean time,... the practice can only help her prepare for the Junior Open Water course.
Subscribed
tstormdiver - 3/18/2015 7:04 AM
Sorry, I meant a child under 10 yrs old. typo....