Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Transition from single setup to doubles???
NORTHEAST - 10/05/2014 9:24 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 6

Hi I’ve been diving a single setup with my oms 45lb with a ss b/p and a al80. I going to start going down the road of tec diving. So with my budget I put together my first tec rig. I have a oms 60lb dual bladder bungee wing on a ss b/p. double faber lp 95’s 3aa which are bricks! First stages are mares mr42’s din with mares psi gauge and two mares abyss navy second stages. I’m also going to be diving this rig with my drysuit(DUI CF200). So with that all being said here is my question it’s very simple. From your experience how is the transition from a single set to doubles? If you were me what would you do first, how would you do it, and is there anything I should add right off the bat? I’d really appreciate your feed back
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 10/06/2014 5:41 PM
Thanks for your help
TColJeep - 10/06/2014 5:57 PM
I dive an OMS with twin 112 steel. The rig feels more stable with the doubles than when using a single tank adapter. The weight issue may take a little getting used to when exiting after a dive, but while diving it shouldn’t prove to be to big a hurdle. As stated by others, the bigger issue will be learning your valve operations, emergency drills, etc... Get a good instructor, don’t rush yourself and good luck.
Subscribed
NORTHEAST - 10/06/2014 6:09 PM
Thank you for your help. I was actually considering teaching this to myself but you guys are making me question this.
Subscribed
MDW - 11/13/2014 7:36 AM
If you have been diving a single LP 95 up to now and are just switching to double LP95s, you should be able to self-train. But I would recommend only doing this in an environment in which you are already very familiar / comfortable. If your normal dive location is a quarry, river, etc. do it there and don’t change anything else in your rig until you are comfortable with the change to doubles. If you only do boat dives in open ocean, you may want to try the doubles in a pool first to get the feel, then climb a ladder with the tanks on your back to be sure you can get back in a boat before going out on an actual boat dive. Then proceed to a boat dive you have done several times before in singles.

I made the switch on my own by going from a single LP120 to double LP108s at my local quarry (Dutch Springs) where I had already done many dives. I found the doubles to be much more manageable and stable in the water than the large single, and only slightly tougher to manage on land during shore entry and exit. When I moved to a boat, I found the doubles were about the same as a single for entry, but the extra weight made climbing the ladder a bit harder until I built up my legs a little more. YMMV.