Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Looking for a Dive Buddy for Some Upcoming NY/NJ Weekend Dives
DiveNYCBuddy - 9/17/2014 3:50 PM
Category: Buddy Wanted
Replies: 7

Hey all,

I am hoping to get a few dives in before september is over, or sometime in October. I was either looking to go with a group, or to find a buddy to tag along with me on either one of the boat dives offered around NYC, but am open to any other opportunities/dives that are available. Moved to NYC a few years ago and havent gotten to dive these waters. Im originally from Seattle and have done some diving out there (as well as a good amount of warm water dives) Got the dry suit all ready and am hoping to find someone to join.

Idea I had for some dives:

Jeanne II- Bunch of weekend dive trips around NY-LI/NJ and some night dive opportunities (plus I hear the BBQ is good)
jeanne-ii.com/

Let me know if you’d like to be my dive buddy for a trip. Im hoping to make a dive friend who I can consistently go diving with. Shoot me a message, and feel free to recommend some shops/boat services/places worth looking at that provide some good diving

Luciano
Subscribed
m_grieco - 9/17/2014 4:39 PM
We’re diving either this Sunday or Monday in Belmar. Most likely diving the L Street Beach or Shark River Inlet (and the water is warm enough to dive a 3mm (low 70’s). I did the dive a few weeks ago with LatitudeAdjustment (Ray), and he’s my DB. Let either of us know if you’re interested.
Subscribed
BeekeeperGreg - 9/17/2014 6:49 PM
Luciano,
Check out the Scuba Earth tap, the dive site descriptions are real pretty good.
Also check out: njscuba.net/sites/index.html
The weekend of the 27th and 28th I will need a buddy for a dive somewhere.
Greg
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/18/2014 4:43 AM
Right now we have plans for an evening dive in Belmar on Monday the 22nd. High tide is 6:55pm at the inlet although that dive may be moved to L Street.

Monday the 29th at L Street high tide would be around 11:29am which puts the sun overhead for the best light.

The tropical fish hang around until early November although by then you’ll need a 7 mil, a warm shower and PolarTec when you come out.

PM me and I’ll include you in the emails on our plans.

Also if you page down the forum there is a visiting pilot looking to dive around NYC and there are always divers looking for buddies up at Dutch but we are at the ocean and Dutch is a three hour drive.

There are group dives out at the bridge on Long Island, OceanFloor could put you in touch with the shop. I dove with them once.

There are clubs in the city, my favorite is oceanbluedivers.com/ which meets in the city but is tied to a shop in Conn. and they do local diving.
Subscribed
BeekeeperGreg - 9/19/2014 9:52 AM
I believe High tide is 6:35. What time would we hit the water? How is parking between A street and Ocean Ave?
I am a 50/50 maybe, time crunch.
Greg
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/19/2014 11:38 AM
Well saltwatertides.com has it at 6:15 but that is approximate, wind direction and rain upstream can change that.

We want to enter before slack high tide and do a drift dive on the incoming tide back to A Street so we should be ready by 5:45

If you zoom in on the dive site and use satellite view you’ll see the parking situation. There are meters in Belmar on Ocean Ave. and those spots tend to be taken anyway by beach goers. There are apartments on 1st. between the parking and the river so if you park on 1st you’ll have to lug your gear aways. Last week there were about 4 open parking spots on A Street which is the closest to our exit point. You may need to drop your gear with one of us and then find parking. Afterward pull in and load up.
Subscribed
vijobrujan - 9/25/2014 12:15 AM
jeanne II boat dive charter boat is out of business....call the seahawk they pretty good....(718) 279-1345 frank or dan after 6PM..