Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Best Underwater Dive Lights
Greg - 9/01/2014 7:51 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 17

I’m in the market for some new dive lights. Can you recommend the latest and greatest dive lights on the market? Best value, longest lasting, brightest, easy maintenance. I would like to buy a primary and backup light.
Subscribed
Btrax - 9/01/2014 9:56 AM
love my solos tech. its also nice having the free hand. Light , easy to use underwater. lasts forever...
Gaucho223 - 9/01/2014 12:03 PM
I’ll give my opinion but this question that has dependencies to factors such as battery and environmental, dexterity, purpose, etc. All that aside, this is just my opinion based on use.

I use three types: three attached to my helmet (750-1000 lumen) along with a broad spectrum LED (Foxfury command 20 stealth) for night time surveillance, contingency/backup which all are in the 300-500 lumen range (dive rite or others) ; and the primary which is the UTD Viz 50 (5000 lumen).

All btw use the 18650 Li-IoN). The common battery gives me one charger in/out of the vehicle plus a solar charger. Plus there are high end/current 18650 types having really good specs coming into the market. I but in bulk and I got away form throwing the common batteries into the thrash.
Eric_R - 9/01/2014 3:29 PM
I just bought a Princeton Tec league 100. I have a Pelican KingLite 4000 that I’ve used for a long time but was looking to start the replacement with LED technology.
SantaFeSandy - 9/01/2014 4:10 PM
I like my Halcyon EOS Mini, and I like that it is compatible with the new canister adapter, if you want longer battery time for technical diving.

halcyon.net/lights/EOS-mini
Subscribed
tstormdiver - 9/01/2014 5:28 PM
I have 2 Light Monkey 21 Watt HID’s & 3 batteries for them.
Subscribed
gemiller - 9/01/2014 7:03 PM
I have a princeton tec shockwave led and torrent as well as the marker light (the tec nav set) and they all work great. I will be looking at something in the 1000 lumen range that can be head mounted though.
RichKeller - 9/01/2014 7:35 PM
My backup has always been an Ikelite Mini C Light. ikelite.com/lighting/1103-mini-c.html I have also used it as a primary when I need my hands free for other things. I usually tape it to my arm or to the handle on top of my helmet. It is simple, rugged and long lasting.
Subscribed
RAWalker - 9/01/2014 7:45 PM
I’ve recently found a supply of diving lights from Hong Kong that are of reasonable quality and features at an price that makes them a top value. My new backup is 1600 LM T6 LED it comes with a battery holder module that takes 3 AAA batteries but can also run on a 18650 Li. One hour run time average. I just ordered another from the same company. It is rated at 4800 LM it uses 3 T6 LEDs runs on 2-18650 LI batteries and comes with them and a charger. Having tested the first backup light I ordered 10 for my shop and will be selling them for $45 each. I ordered 5 of the 4800 LM and anticipate similar run times and a sale price of $150 each.
SantaFeSandy - 9/02/2014 3:41 AM
Ah, for video & photography I use the Ikelite DS 161 video light and strobe. Supermen real light is the SeaLife video light. Backups are: UK Miniq40, Princeton Tec Torrent, and a no-name 4" backup w strobe for easy viewing of my camera settings. Hook that one to a D-Ring.

The Torrent is quite nice for size, easy on/off, and soft yet powerful floodlighting.
SantaFeSandy - 9/02/2014 3:47 AM
Cellphone typo. :-) Should have read that my SeaLife now serves for supplemental lighting.
LatitudeAdjustment - 9/02/2014 4:45 AM
Another vote for Princeton Tec, good lights, good price and lifetime warranty ! One of my daughters old lights quit and they replaced it with a newer model.
Subscribed
KMDD - 9/06/2014 7:35 PM
Hi,
I started carrying this one: amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1CYD8K/ref=oh_aui_detai...08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am a brand new/novice diver. But I spent about 2 months receiving/returning/shopping until this one worked for me. Ergonomically, it just felt right. Rechargeable. Light weight. And will nearly boil off your vitreous humor. Has a high, medium, low and strob feature at the twist of a hex ring by the bell. But I am not using for underwater photography or cave diving. Just to peer into opening from a safe distance. Oh..and the customer service was Superb.
Subscribed
MarkS - 9/09/2014 9:46 AM
I just started diving this year and did my first night dive one week ago. So I made an investment i believe in a great light especially for night diving. I bought the Aqua Lung Trio 780 Lumens LED Dive light.

All I can say is there was a dramatic difference in the light I was using and what the other folks on the night dive used. Everything was clear, distance was great etc. Keep in mind this was a night dive in New England where the viz is not usually outstanding from what I’ ve been told. The viz was ball park 15’ to 20’ on this dive but it was clear as day for me.

The only thing that hurt was the price tag of $335.00. Hopefully it last a number of years to come?
Subscribed
randi818 - 9/11/2014 11:08 PM
We have two Intsun 800 lumen lights $14. They are the bomb. I. Did have a minor problem with the wiring on one, so in my microscopic sample of two I have a 50% fault rate even that would be worth it for these lights. You need to buy the battery and charger too about $11 with two batteries and the charger. Each battery lasts about an hour and a half. 800 lumen is as much a 150 watt flood light. It actually gets hot when used out of water. We have some $35 halogen dive lights. When you turn them on in a dark room and then turn on the Intsun you can’t see the other light.
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FB4J4K2?cache=49fb7b8db5c11...r=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1
Subscribed
MDW - 11/12/2014 7:31 AM
I have recently discovered a nice 120deg wide angle light from Mako (about $70 each) that works great as both a video light for GoPro filming and as a helmet light for giving you beautiful color vision of everything you look at. For more pinpoint / long range illumination I like any of the cheap chinese LED handhelds. They are as bright as the expensive brands at 10% to 20% of the cost (and I suspect are made with more or less the same components). I bought some for $25 each that have worked well and held up great. All the above run on rechargeable 16850 batteries (which you can also harvest from an old laptop battery pack) and some even come with an adapter insert to allow use of 3 AAA disposable batteries as well.