Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

key west diving
bigiron - 6/03/2014 1:55 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 3

Im looking for info about diving sites in key west. I’ll be traveling with a junior padi diver so we are limited to 60’ max depth.
Subscribed
Scuba-Stu - 6/04/2014 8:38 AM
Pennekamp state park would be awesome for a junior.
Hawkeye54 - 6/19/2014 8:52 PM
You can dive with nearly any operation in Key West and as long as you stick to the reef sites, you won’t exceed 60’. Most operators run schedules to both the reef and wreck sites, and some specialize more in the wrecks - Because they’re bigger attractions. Pennekamp is way up in Key Largo If you’re staying in Key West, don’t bother with that long drive unless conditions warrant it. Just off Big Pine Key there is the Looe Key Reef, which is a GREAT shallow site with spur-and-groove as well as patch reef formations, and generally good visibility. Looe Key Resort runs dives to there almost daily, as well as Strike Zone Charters.
Hawkeye54 - 6/19/2014 8:56 PM
FWIW: I wouldn’t bother with Innerspace diving on Big Pine Key. Of three separate times I’ve tried booking with them, they’ve cancelled twice for conditions (when other operators ran) and once for lack of clientele (with only two divers booked they won’t run). Their prices are high, anyway, and I really don’t see them staying in business much longer unless the shop is just somebody’s hobby.