Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Requlator selection for new diver.
opelika294 - 5/23/2014 10:49 AM
Category: New Diver Q&A
Replies: 5

Im new to the sport and want to purchase second stage regulator, but dont know what would be the best choice for a newer diver. I like the looks of the Scubapro R195 because it looks simple, reliable and I have been using something simlar to train with. Would I gain anything noticible if I move up to the Scubapro G260? My local dive shop services both. Feedback much appriciated.
Subscribed
btw2459 - 5/23/2014 1:08 PM
See if you can try different types before you buy is one piece of advice. Also make sure you can get it serviced locally. Another question to ask yourself what sort of diving do you think you want to do. When I bought my first regulator set I had completed the PADI equipment specialty course which helped no end in deciding my choice. I knew I wanted to go deep and in colder water than here in the panhandle, I also new I wanted a DIN rather than yoke connection. In the end I bought a Aqualung Titan LX Supreme which is a balance diaphram regulator. I’ve been down to 130 ft and it allowed me to breath the same as if I was at 30ft. I’ve also dove with it in Scottish water where the temperature was 44F.......
Eric_R - 5/23/2014 5:06 PM
I would reciprocate the local serviceability. I would also recommend trying out any reg before purchase if possible or talk to other divers that have been using them for a while that also purchased them through your local shop.
Subscribed
lerpy - 5/25/2014 6:44 AM
As been mentioned trying things out is important, as well when you are out diving, look at what others are using, common brands, models etc. Also think of where you want your diving to go and be sure the regs you buy will suit that. I have seen people by inexpensive warm water regs, only to have to purchase again as they upgrade. I personaly use Scubapro MK25 first and the S600 second. I dive cold and deep, and in the winter and have never had an issue with the regs. As someone said to me, there are lots of things you can buy inexpensively, but do not cheap out on regs, spend the most on them, they keep you alive.
Subscribed
USACMASDiver - 7/22/2014 2:09 PM
Rent them first if you don’t have experience. Also, dig into the history behind what you are narrowing it down to so you are comfortable investing in what you are investing in - no, not all diving equipment companies were created equal. Far from it.
Subscribed
FishChaser - 8/03/2014 2:30 PM
I am also new to diving, just bought my first package, bcd, reg, Octo,etc. it took me 2 months of research, easier say than done trying different ones. Local dive shop has limited brands, most rentals are low end, breathing in a reg on land is not the same as diving with it, especially over several days as on a trip. There are demo days you may be able to try out at local dive sites. I did my research on the internet, scuba blogs, reviews and talking to everyone I come across who dives. Atomic Z3 (T2 is better, but expensive) was my final choice for all of its features and reviews.