Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Axiom i3
JohnnyJohnny - 3/26/2014 12:16 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 10

Greetings Everyone,

I have been looking hard on this BCD Aqua Lung Axiom i3.
Planning to purchase the unit this upcoming April but wanted to know what
others think about this product. I had been searching all different BCDs but
felt that the Axiom i3 the right one for me.

Can someone give me the ups and down with the product.
planning to conduct an open water this upcoming April. Its always
good to get a second advice i’m unsure. Thanks for the help everyone.
Subscribed
rcy7 - 3/26/2014 4:50 AM
I got mind 6 months ago. I really like it. Takes a little getting use to with your in/deflate at the bottom, but once you get the hang of it you’ll like not having to raise your arm up to deflate. I have a wireless transmitter for my air pressure which means I have 2 less hoses hanging down. Plenty of pockets and rings to attach extras on. At this point, I can’t think of any negatives. Bottom line, you will enjoy it.
Subscribed
Hnebdgr - 3/26/2014 4:53 PM
I just purchased the Lotus i3 which is the women’s version of the Axiom i3. It takes some getting used to. I have only been able to use it twice but it is something I will defiantly need to get used to. I felt I was battling my BC the whole time. That being said I have not been diving in a while and had a new 5mm wetsuit and hood and gloves. The fit was fine. It’s the in/deflate which was awkward. I will be heading to the pool for some quality getting to know my BC time very soon.
Subscribed
Hnebdgr - 3/26/2014 5:05 PM
I just purchased the Lotus i3 which is the women’s version of the Axiom i3. It takes some getting used to. I have only been able to use it twice but it is something I will defiantly need to get used to. I felt I was battling my BC the whole time. That being said I have not been diving in a while and had a new 5mm wetsuit and hood and gloves. The fit was fine. It’s the in/deflate which was awkward. I will be heading to the pool for some quality getting to know my BC time very soon.
Subscribed
JohnnyJohnny - 3/26/2014 7:11 PM
I been having a hard time determining which BCD to invest, either the Axiom i3 or the Dimension i3.

This upcoming April, I will be going to the dive shop to try both of them on and to see how it feel underwater.

I came across this website for the two BCDs.

Axiom i3 - dive-gear-reviews.com/2011/10/03/aqualung-axiom-i3-scuba-bcd-review/

Dimension i3 - dive-gear-reviews.com/2011/04/26/aqua-lung-dimension-i3-scuba-bcd-review/

I’m pretty much clueless but the only thing I notice is the prices different.

I was on the phone today talking to one of the dive shop but still confuse me of which one to get. They will set the two up together for me to try it on and see how it will feel in the pool to make my decision which is very nice of them.

I heard from many divers who likes the Axiom i3 and some likes the Dimension i3

Since I’m an entry level, the best way is to try them on and make a decision from there and hopefully it’ll be a good decision.
Subscribed
mrose - 3/31/2014 6:10 AM
The Axiom is a wrap-around jacket style BCD and the Dimension is the back-inflate version. I have the Axiom and have been very happy with it. The i3 makes it much easier to fine tune my buoyancy. The BC is very comfortable and I hardly notice the tank while I’m in the water.

However, I wish I had tried the Dimension before buying, since the back inflate system may be easier to keep level in the water.

My advice would be to try them out before buying. If you’re just starting out, don’t rush into a decision. Once you get in a few dives, you may decide you want to go with something else altogether and you’ll take a hit on your investment in new gear.
Subscribed
mrose - 3/31/2014 6:11 AM
For reference, I have had my Axiom i3 for about 40 dives both in warm Caribbean water and in cold lake and quarry water. It has been great in both diving environments.
Subscribed
99riverman - 4/05/2014 11:32 PM
I just got back from a week of spring diving with the axiom i3, I too was planning to purchase one but my shop had one in rental so I took it to Florida and logged 12 dives with. I loved everything about it. The wrapture harness system is super comfy, to correct the fella above it is a back inflate and trims out perfectly. The deflate lever allows you to purge from all three valves simultaneously which is very handy. The swivels on the shoulder straps are fantastic, the whole design is extremely streamlined. In short absolutely loved it until...I was in Devils Den squeezing though a swim-though and I kept bumping the inflate lever on the rocks while 55’ down in a cavern. Could have been a bad situation. I stopped at Choo Choos dive shop in Chattanooga and inquired about buying one and they convinced me that they are dangerous and have had reports of the power inflator getting stuck which caused a friend of theirs to go into and uncontrolled ascent, (shoulda pulled a dump cord huh?) So I looked at an Apex Black Ice and decided I couldn’t do any better. I think aqualung makes the axiom without the i3 system so I would recommend that. Best of luck hope this helps.
Subscribed
mrose - 4/06/2014 8:37 AM
I agree that the i3 is not the best design for close quarters such as cavern diving and wreck penetration. If I get into more technical diving, I’ll probably look for equipment more suited for close quarters. However, I haven’t had any problems with unintended inflation and neither has my dive buddy who has about 100 dives with his i3. I’ve done some light wreck penetrations and cenote diving (highly recommended) in Mexico without issue.

It comes down to knowing your equipment. If the i3 valve sticks, the low pressure hose disconnects right behind the handle and you could pull the hose off. You’d have to do the same thing if your standard inflator valve sticks. Neither would be a good scenario and I’m not convinced either is more likely to happen than the other.

For me, I feel the added precision and ease of adjusting my buoyancy and the ability to dump air in a horizontal position outweighs the potential negatives of the i3. It’s just personal preference of whether you like the i3 enough.

Sometimes it’s hard to try equipment out without an unbiased dive shop trying to sell you what they have in stock. Definitely take into consideration the input from more experienced divers, but always consider the source. There are valid reasons on why the i3 might not be the best BC for you. But if it makes you more comfortable in the water and more likely to dive more often, then it’s probably the best choice.

Good luck!
Subscribed
JohnnyJohnny - 4/06/2014 10:31 PM
I tried out the dimension i3 within 8 dives and totally love it. Now don’t hate me for this but the i3 BCD will be the only BCDs that I’m planning to get down the line. I tried other BCDs but wasn’t satisfy with any of it. I had to brief my dive buddy where my inflate and deflate was located and we practices emergency byouncy with each other and it wasn’t that difficult. Now I’m a it fan.
Subscribed
neogerald - 6/16/2015 11:45 AM
I bought my Axiom I3 2 months ago and log in 6 dives. I really like it so far. Easy to control buoyancy. I am sitting comfortably above water. The tank is not pushing me forward. Lots of hooks and pockets. It has a specific place for your knife as well. Easy to clean as well.