Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

marathon or keywest
marmar - 3/15/2014 2:47 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 4

Going to keywest at the end of April. I have been told that Marathon has better diving than keywest. Can anyone out there that can let me know which would be better diving?? Also if you could recommend a good dive shop. We like smaller groups to dive with.
Thank You,
MarMar
LatitudeAdjustment - 3/16/2014 5:29 AM
They are not that far apart, do both :)

Both are shallow except for a few deep wrecks, better chance for a six pack in Marathon but even if you stay there you’ll want to run down to KW after a morning dive to tour and catch the sunset on Mallory Square.
Subscribed
Capnd - 3/16/2014 8:12 AM
i have dove marathon and key west both several times . In marathon i usually dive with capnhooks dive shop. the people there have always been great to deal with and i have never had a dissappointment . however keep in mind it is up to you to track the weather conditions as much ahead as possible . i have called capn hooks many times just to check on visability and conditions to plan trips and they have always been up front with conditions as best as anyone could expect . they have a new instructor and her husband that i have heard great reviews and spoken with her about completing my rescue diver class with and i like her attitude and high energy . her name is Denise ,give her a call i think you will like this place . they have always been very personable . key west shops are great also but i prefer marathon myself .
Subscribed
Capnd - 3/16/2014 8:15 AM
ps if you go to capn hooks .do a night dive ,its great .
Subscribed
uwlover4u - 3/17/2014 4:21 AM
Marathon up to Key Largo has the best reefs and wrecks. Key West is ok but the reefs aren’t as nice and they only have the one good wreck, the Vandenburg. But KW is a fun party après dive town.