Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Going to Tahiti
Damon - 2/20/2014 10:53 AM
Category: Videography
Replies: 3

I’ll be Diving & Snorkeling in Tahiti this April, and have never been there before. I thrive on exotic animal encounters, and the book I’m reading makes it seem as though every foot of Tahitian salt-water has a shark, dolphin and/or whale in it! The book makes it seem like each and every Tahitian island is just like Belize’s Shark-Ray Alley!

I’m not that interested in any more deep diving (I’ve lost patience with pressure stops, running out of air while being deep underwater), and caves & wreck-dives aren’t high on my list. I just like seeing critters up close, if possible. That said, are there any first-hand experiences anybody wants to share? Recommendations from those who’ve dived the Tahitian islands?
Subscribed
wico6768 - 4/23/2014 7:58 AM
Which islands will you be visiting? Will you visit any atolls?

It is definitely true that diving in french polynesia is pretty incredible. We just got back a couple of weeks ago from an all atoll trip, to tikehau, rangiroa and fakarava. We have also gone to bora bora, tahaa, and huahine (islands).

It’s beautiful! There are always sharks, mostly reef varieties, as well as often manta, dolphin, and thousands upon thousands of fish, vibrant reef life everywhere.

Most dives aren’t deep, and many are super easy and relaxing. But, in the atolls anyway, we do dive up to 90-100, sometimes, if there are many sharks or dolphin, but most often max of about 75-80 with the majority 40-60’.

Have fun!! We go back in July for a short trip for our daughter’s open water dives, this time on Moorea.
Subscribed
Damon - 4/23/2014 9:46 AM
I just got back yesterday, from two weeks in Tahiti!

Though I normally chose less-crowded places (to avoid standing in line, etc.), I think some of the Tahitian islands were beyond my limit! I never thought I’d say this, but some parts were too remote and isolated, even for myself! Communication issues (I don’t speak French), limited hours for stores and restaurants, and just not having all the 24-hour convenience we jaded Americans have come to expect!

But I’m not complaining about the diving! There were indeed more sharks, rays and dolphins than I could have anticipated. I spent time on Taha’a, Rangiroa, Moorea, and Tahiti itself.