Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Calling Grand Cayman from the USA - International Rate Applies
Greg - 1/08/2014 12:26 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 4

Did you know that you will be charged international rates if you call Grand Cayman from the USA? It looks like a basic long distance number, no country code was required. However, when I got my phone bill, I was charged nearly $4 per minute.

Do you know of other places that look like long distance numbers, but are charged at an international rate?
Subscribed
lerpy - 1/08/2014 2:23 PM
Here in Canada we get charged a greater long distance rate for calling the US as compared to calling long distance in Canada, unless you have some form of a package that allows you to call the US. Some of the cell rates for US calling and texting can be pretty high as well. No international number for calling the US, just a normal long distance number.
daz88 - 1/08/2014 6:41 PM
nice to know, thanks for the info. pretty messed up though. hope it wasn’t a super long call
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 1/08/2014 10:04 PM
I was in Eastport Maine, which is on the border, every call we made bounced off cell towers in Canada, we got charged,long distance,international fees. I contacted my Provider after getting my statement and they readjusted everything
Subscribed
lerpy - 1/09/2014 11:10 AM
Here in Kingston we get the same thing, picking up US cell towers all the time incurring data roaming. I got a 2000$ cell bill once. LOL That was a fun fight with the provider. A number of people I know get US cell phones, with US numbers, soooooo much cheaper and better service on US cells than Canadian.