Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Tank Advice
lerpy - 12/27/2013 1:45 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 11

Ok so I am increasing gear as I move into the techinical world and have a question on tanks. I am researching doubles and right now I happen to have a set of older Faber LP98’s. These are an older tank made by faber for OMS and marked 98 but I believe Faber called them a 95. Anyhow, I tired them out and I tipped feet up a lot. What I was told by my shop, and I really trust my shop is that the tank is to short for me, I am 6’3" and the short tank has all the weight up at my shoulders. So now I am looking into longer tanks, most recommended is a set of 130’s, and the bands then would transfer over ( I believe) the other option is the less common 120 long and slender, this should help balance me out. I currently dive a single 149, great trim.

So what are peoples thoughts on this, expereiences with various tank sizes etc.
LatitudeAdjustment - 12/27/2013 6:44 PM
"I tired them out and I tipped feet up a lot."

Have you tried ankle weights to trim? My 7mil tends to float my legs up and I added 1.5 pound ankle weights to keep them down.
RichKeller - 12/28/2013 7:19 AM
The manifold is where most of the dead weight is located. Try wearing them upside down putting that weight closer to the center of your body.
Subscribed
UWnewbee - 12/28/2013 10:50 PM
From LatitudeAdjustment: Have you tried ankle weights to trim? My 7mil tends to float my legs up and I added 1.5 pound ankle weights to keep them down.
Same thing happens to me with my 7mm i readjusted my weights and i use 4lbs on my ankles 2lbs each
Subscribed
dive7mmwet - 12/29/2013 4:33 PM
you dive a dry suit? adjust tank ! a 150 CUBIC TANK WOW! talk about a water heater, if your going tec get the doubles don’t waste any money on singles if your going that way as real tec divers never ever ,ever dove a single tank in their lives guess they just forgot!
Subscribed
DiveBuddyChgo - 1/01/2014 7:01 AM
You should deal with a dive shop that does a lot of tec. diving. I am also 6’3", 240lb with a dry suit. And dive with drysuit/ dbles OMS LP 2400psi 85c/ft. Extra weight to the dbles you didn’t knock off enough lead with to much air moving around in your drysuit to your feet. Drop 10lbs of lead before you change anything else.Get some pool practice with the drysuit/dbles on. Include your line reels,extra bottles,lights and everything else. If that isn’t your problem then re adjust the back plate to the bladder. Then get back into the pool. Lastly you’ll have to drain your tanks completely and readjust the bands to the tank. Re tighten the bands then a partial fill. And then do another pool practice session. You may also have to re adjust all 3 parts of the dbles. system. FYI dbles are easier to dive with then a single alum. 80. If your in the midwest Chgo. area I would love to purchase those dbles. LP you mean 2400psi/95cu.ft. correct ??
Subscribed
GoDeeper - 1/13/2014 7:46 PM
Try moving the bands more towards the top of the tank. This will move the tanks lower on your back. I dive LP 85’s on just about every dive, and I never have a trim issue. Whether I’m wearing a 7mm or a drysuit. By repositioning the tanks low on your back, and the wing high on your shoulders, you shouldn’t ever need ankle weights. Just make sure you can still reach the valves for shut down drills.

That being said, hands on training with an experienced Tech diver is really what you need. It’s hard to teach on the internet.
Subscribed
lerpy - 1/14/2014 7:03 AM
I appreciate the advice, the experiementing with the new drysuit and trying doubles continues.

@divebuddychgo - The shop I use for this stuff does specialize and cater heavily to tec divers, and the guy that runs it is very knowledgable of tec diving. His advice has yet to stear me wrong, other than it normally involves really expensive gear I can buy at his shop. LOL. The doubles I have are the LP95/98. They are LP95 I believe if labelled by OMS and LP98 labelled by Faber. They are older grey tanks, made by OMS for Faber is what I was told. Seem pretty popular for doubles.

GoDeeper - I have the band up as high as they can go, and it is kind of tight to get at the valves. I am going to continue wiht trying sizes, as mentioned above the shop I deal with for this type of thing is really good, and despite is salemanship he is great for lending me stuff to try out to get the right gear for me.

I also think I need a more appropriate wing. The wing that came with the tanks is an old OMS 90# wing. Need to get a 55# or 60#.
Subscribed
DiveBuddyChgo - 1/14/2014 7:18 AM
Keep up with the practice sessions. Get use to the drysuit first with your single tank set up that your use to using. Give that a year in deep waters. Then go onto the dbles after your comfortable with the drysuit. I don’t think the doubles are your problem. It just may be you getting use to the drysuit. If your diving drysuit then you should try a heavy rubber fin such as a turtle fin. You could also have to much air in your drysuit working its way up to your feet. Good Luck and have fun.
Subscribed
gepdiv - 1/21/2014 8:00 PM
I dive single 149, and like it , I have 120’s also. I used to double them up for deeper dives but found doubles a little difficult to manage on the boat , and you should use bc with wings for doubles or it tends to roll you over under water. I like my 149’s singles
Subscribed
Dima - 4/23/2014 4:23 PM
I am usually wreck diving in NJ (90-130ft deep). I am planning to upgrade from my HP 100cf to faber 149cf (combined with 30cf pony). However I see that most other divers are using either 120-130 or doubles. Is there any downside of 149cf (except for an extra few lbs)? Thank you.
Subscribed
gepdiv - 4/23/2014 8:33 PM
I like them , I have 4 of the 149’s, it’s not that I use alot of air ,I just like knowing it’s there. You never Know when you may need alittle extra pulling a troublesom anchor.