Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Side Mount
ScubaCrab - 11/20/2013 5:12 PM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 4

Any side mount divers or divers interested in learning more? I just took a clinic on side mount and tried it at Jennie Springs. Much easier than doubles or a pony with a single tank on the back! Now I have a new itch to scratch. Interested in hearing from others questions and answers from all divers with or without experience so we can all learn more.
Subscribed
bronxdiver - 11/28/2013 4:21 AM
Over the summer i took the sidemount course, my instructor is a big, deep wreck diver who also has a bad back. Summer house in Key Largo too. With that being said he told us alot of people are going the sidemount route who have bad backs. Less weight and less strain on ur body. It felt awkward for me with the tanks on the side, u do have to get used to it. Also doubles on my back is alot of weight and awkward at first too. Im 5’6 140lbs. He mentioned it takes more help in and out of water but as far a penetrating wrecks he feels its easier since u can put one tank inside and then enter, less chance of overhead entanglement as well. Besides doing the pool and open water training dives the day we went out to the quarry i havent used the setup elsewhere. Such as everything there are pros and cons and personal preference but iam seeing alot more people with sidemount setups at the quarry by me.
Subscribed
Peter-EH-NJ - 4/30/2014 10:39 AM
I am thinking to learn and dive with side mounts on "Far East" vacations (Malaysia, Atolls, etc. ,) where doubles may become difficult take along. (1) to transfer manifold by luggage bags, and (2) for boat operators to maintain. I am not a tech diver, so please advise.

Ok, some have said (a) specific gear for a specific task (b) after singles, go doubles on a manifold with wing and backplate (c) before starting sidemounts.