Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Proposed Scuba Book Exchange on DiveBuddy.com
Greg - 10/29/2013 9:39 AM
Category: General
Replies: 6

I have a few scuba/water related books just sitting on my shelf. Some are out of print and hard to find. I’d love to share them with others.

What do you all think about a book exchange on DiveBuddy? What features should a book exchange have?
Subscribed
Greg - 10/29/2013 9:59 AM
I just reviewed BookMooch.com. They offer a book exchange on a point based system. You get points for giving a book and you use up points for getting a book. They use the ISBN to search for book details.
RockRat2008 - 10/29/2013 1:02 PM
I like the idea, but I’m not sure exactly the best way to do it.

What does BookMooch use the points for? If I have to have points to get a book then I get penalized for not having a SCUBA book library because I don’t have books to lend, correct?

Ultimately though, my biggest concern would be for people like you. If you loan out an out of print, hard to find, book and it gets damaged, destroyed, or never returned are you ok losing that book forever?
Subscribed
Greg - 10/29/2013 1:21 PM
From RockRat2008: If you loan out an out of print, hard to find, book and it gets damaged, destroyed, or never returned are you ok losing that book forever?
I agree, so I’d only loan out the ones that really don’t have much emotional or monetary value.
Subscribed
RAWalker - 10/29/2013 1:50 PM
Maybe setting up something more on the order of a Kindle book exchange where the owner makes a copy of his/her book for kindle and loans the copy.
Subscribed
Greg - 10/29/2013 2:00 PM
From RAWalker: Maybe setting up something more on the order of a Kindle book exchange where the owner makes a copy of his/her book for kindle and loans the copy.
Are you talking about the ability to "Loan" a book to a friend using Amazon? If so, have you done that before and how does it work? What info do you need in order to loan someone an e-book?
Subscribed
RAWalker - 10/29/2013 3:47 PM
No I’m talking about copying the books into file formats that can be read on a computer such as Adobe PDF, Or other file types that Kindle readers or Nook readers use. These copies can be lent out and returned to an electronic library system as long as the use is singular. In other words like a library only one person can be reading it at a time and must be return or time out before the next person may check it out. This avoids copyright issues as someone involved must have the original but also avoid the hard copy from being worn, damaged and abused. Similar systems are in use by libraries and book clubs and I’m sure it could be adapted to form a DiveBuddy.com scuba library.