Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Shark or Dolphin?
Magdalena - 2/28/2008 10:26 PM
Category: General
Replies: 1

My partner and I live in Perth, Western Australia. We were on the bech just two days ago. First went went into the water toegther, but the second time I was cold. So my partner went into the water by him self, that means without me. There was heaps of people on the beach! When he came back he told me that he had seen a big gray/back... at least dark... shade in the water. It was a fish at about 2,5 meters. It came straight onto him under the water. He was at the depth of about 1,5 meters when this happened. When the fish was about 1,5 meters from him it turned around and juust dissapeared. WMe and my partner wonder if this was a dolphin or a shark. Or what... I spoke to some people about this. The all say one word: SHARK. The explanation I have been given is that dolohins swin near the surface. This fish was under the water all the time. It turned around like it dit because sharks just hit their target if they are 100 % sure. Someone else told me today to be careful. There is a lot of great white out there this time of the year. I wonder if anyone here knows what it could have been? Is it really possible that a great white was that close to my partner? Thanks! /Magdalena
NWKatShark - 2/29/2008 6:22 PM
Quite possibly a White. Might have already been full having just eaten, just wasn`t hungry or just didn`t like the smell. It was definately a lucky day for your Buddy though.