Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Equipment at Amazon.com
EduardoNC - 9/09/2013 9:57 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 32

Hello!

I am very new to the scuba diving, I am 1 dive away from my certification :).

I am planning to buy my BCD and regulator. I do not have a lot of money to spend on equipment right now and I have been looking at some dive shops and I am only seeing prices on the $2000 range.

I have looked at this item at Amazon.com which I would like to request some inputs about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Cressi-Regulator-Console-Octopus-Packa...;keywords=cressi+bcd

Thank you in advance!
Subscribed
Scuba-Smurf - 9/09/2013 10:19 AM
I’ve used the BCD and gauge when I was just starting out and was happy with them. Never used the regs. Sorry
Subscribed
Scuba-Smurf - 9/09/2013 10:20 AM
Congrats on your progress and certification!
RockRat2008 - 9/09/2013 10:31 AM
There is nothing wrong with that set all, with this stipulation. It is entry level gear, designed to be used as rental gear for dive shops and resorts. It will serve you will starting out, but if you dive regularly, you’ll want to upgrade soon (In my opinion).

I would save my money and look at investing in higher quality gear in the future. Even if you buy just a BC (you can get a high quality BC for $599 or less), or just a reg set, initially and have to rent the other one while you save up to make the second purchase I think you’ll be happier in the long run.

If you just want to have your own gear starting out then this will certainly meet your needs to get you underwater.
Subscribed
EduardoNC - 9/09/2013 10:43 AM
Wow, thanks everyone for the quick and detailed replies!
Subscribed
Scuba-Smurf - 9/09/2013 10:45 AM
LeisurePro are great! I buy a lot of stuff from there :)
Subscribed
EduardoNC - 9/09/2013 10:48 AM
RockRat2008, could you please elaborate a bit more your sentence on why I would want to upgrade to a higher quality? I just wanted to understand the differences and then make my decision based upon that....

I do not see a reason to spend $2000 in something I will be using (if most) once a month. But at the same time I would like to have my own equipment in case I decide to go in a dive spontaneously.
Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/09/2013 10:51 AM
...If you buy this package, start saving your money to buy a computer!

Entry level ones are at least $300 (ie: Subgear XP-10), but the more bottom time you’ll get, versus using tables, is well worth the investment!
Subscribed
EduardoNC - 9/09/2013 10:51 AM
I already have the computer and the wetsuit. I bought them a few months ago.
Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/09/2013 10:56 AM
From EduardoNC: I already have the computer and the wetsuit.
Cool! With this combo you’re set then!
RockRat2008 - 9/09/2013 12:15 PM
Eduardo,

As you noticed I said "dive a lot" and you said "dive at most once a month". If you’re going to be diving at most once a month that means you probably won’t dive the cold months -Oct through March at least- so you’re looking at diving 6 times a year. In that case I would say that set up is great for you. Something that avoids renting gear, and as you said allows you to go out if the urge strikes.

I made 114 dives last year, and will make between 150-200 dives this year and I dive all 12 months of the year. Higher end BC vests will usually have more, and better quality (metal vs plastic) attachment points, as well as being more comfortable, etc.

Higher end regulator sets will breath easier in general, and have the ability to adjust the airflow as you dive which makes breathing easier as you dive deeper if you have an interest in that. In my case, almost all my dive in the last couple of months have been 80 deeper.
Subscribed
EduardoNC - 9/09/2013 12:17 PM
Could not have asked for a better explanation :-). Perfect, thank you!!
Subscribed
DiveBuddyChgo - 9/10/2013 5:08 AM
Rent your gear for at least the first year. You’ll save money in the long run by learning what you need and want for dive gear the first purchase. Thats if your still diving in another year. You also don’t know what type of diving your going to do. Cold/Warm water. Shallow/Deep. Overhead enviroment/Open water. Recreational dive trips/Recreational Deco. dives. The gear all works great but only for the conditions it was made for. HAPPY DIVING!
Subscribed
Greg - 9/10/2013 10:04 AM
Also, before you buy anything online, contact your local diveshop and give them a chance to match the price. If they can come close (maybe within 10% of the online price)...buy from the local diveshop instead. Or see if they are associated with the online retailer so you can buy the gear using their referral code so they get a commission.
Subscribed
EduardoNC - 9/10/2013 10:32 AM
Absolutely Greg, however, the dive shops I looked wanted to push me into $2000+ equipment which I find extremely expensive for the type of diving I do.
Subscribed
PVK - 9/10/2013 12:45 PM
Make sure they are a authorized dealer .
Subscribed
John_giu - 9/10/2013 3:43 PM
At first blush, you aren’t saving anything.

As stated above you will SOON want to upgrade. This regulator set is NOT Nitrox compatible.

You may not be planning on diving nitrox yet, but if you do you’re stuck with a regulator you can not use.

The BCD is also NOT weight integrated, a really nice option to have.

I’m not spending your money. When I started I decided to put all my money in my regulators. They will last you a lifetime

and will lend a lot of pleasure to your diving experience. With enough careful research you can strike a balance between what you can afford to spend and performance. For me that came in the form of Mares Abyss regulators, a top performer at a price I was willing to spend.

Not everyone needs a $1200.00 regulator, but no one wants to feel like they are sucking air through a straw.

I understand fully your excitement and wanting to own your own gear, a good idea. But you might be better off waiting out one season and investing in higher quality regulators.

Good luck and congrats!
Subscribed
cbriley - 9/10/2013 4:17 PM
LeisurePro is the place to get your gear. I like Cressi products and the start is good if you are doing warm water only. If you dive any cold water the regulator will stick. You can go onto LP and chat with an expert and they can set you up with the perfect gear for your environment and budget.
Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/10/2013 4:26 PM
From John_giu: This regulator set is NOT Nitrox compatible.
You may not be planning on diving nitrox yet, but if you do you’re stuck with a regulator you can not use.
...Just curious, why do you say that this reg ig not nitrox compatible?
Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/10/2013 4:30 PM
From John_giu: Not everyone needs a $1200.00 regulator, but no one wants to feel like they are sucking air through a straw.
...the funny thing (NOT Ha Ha funny!) is that I do have a $1,200 Atomic T2 regulator that is NOT nitrox compatible either! Breathes like a dream though!
Subscribed
DiveBuddyChgo - 9/10/2013 5:09 PM
Atomic T2 regulator is Nitrox compatable. Enjoy that Atomic set.
Subscribed
Greg - 9/11/2013 5:49 AM
In addition to Cressi, I also noticed that Amazon has Zeagle, Oceanic, and Aeris gear for sale. Some of the gear looks like it’s sold by Amazon. But some is sold by LeisurePro or OnlineScuba through the Amazon Marketplace.

Any dive shop or individual could use the Amazon Marketplace to sell gear online if they wanted to.
Subscribed
John_giu - 9/11/2013 8:35 AM
From Aikidiver: Aikidiver - 16 hours 8 minutes ago.
From John_giu: This regulator set is NOT Nitrox compatible.
...Just curious, why do you say that this reg ig not nitrox compatible?

I checked the specs?
Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/11/2013 8:40 AM
From DiveBuddyChgo: Atomic T2 regulator is Nitrox compatable. Enjoy that Atomic set.
The Atomic T2X regulator is fully Nitrox compatible. But I have a Atomic T2, I did receive an advisory from Atomic recommending that I NOT use this regulator for nitrox. Apparently in 2001, a diver was injured when his Atomic T2 1sr stage caught fire, with the titanium metal igniting due to the oxygen content (78%) of his tank.
I do have more than a hundred dives with this regulator while using nitorx-32 over the past 13 years.
RockRat2008 - 9/11/2013 8:41 AM
From John_giu: I checked the specs?

John,

Can you link to those specs? From the Nitrox class I went through all current gear is Nitrox compatible up to 40% with the exception of tanks.

It is only when you plan on going from 41%-100% oxygen that you have to have your regulators and other gear cleaned to handle the higher oxygen content.
Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/11/2013 9:00 AM
From John_giu: I checked the specs?
I just checked the specs, it says it is nitrox compatible!
Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/11/2013 10:12 AM
I found the operation manual for Cressi regs, and I stand corrected, their regs are NOT nitrox compatible:

Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/11/2013 10:29 AM
RockRat2008 - 9/11/2013 10:33 AM
The way I read that though the NASA statement is silicone is fine with oxygen up to 40% which is your Nitrox certification level in the USA.

European standards state it has to pass "also with a pure oxygen working test" which means the regulator has to be oxygen clean for mixtures from 41%-100% which isn’t "nitrox".

Therefore it is rated for standard nitrox, it just has extra requirements if diving in European countries.
Subscribed
Brian_V - 9/11/2013 2:51 PM
Gotcha RockRat, it’s EAN compatible up to 40%, but do to the ridiculous certification standards, it’s limited to 22% O2 in Europe only.
Subscribed
John_giu - 9/12/2013 10:16 AM
From Aikidiver: found the operation manual for Cressi regs, and I stand corrected, their regs are NOT nitrox compatible:

I was only going on what I found is descriptions of online retailers.

Thanks for the information.

It seems short sighted to me to buy regs that are not nitrox compatible when often there is not a great price difference percentage wisie.
RockRat2008 - 9/12/2013 10:46 AM
John,

As stated previously twice now ... ALL current regulators on the market are Nitrox compatible to the standard blends of Nitrox for recreational diving, 40%.

It is only if you get into advanced diving with other gas mixtures that put your oxygen between 41%-100% that you need to have your regulators O2 cleaned and set up for the higher oxygen level.