Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Any experiences with Bare 8/7 semidry wetsuit?
Alumin12 - 9/09/2013 7:41 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 4

Hi,
I just got my Bare semidry wetsuit with the zipper in front and I´m bit disapointed. Wet fits perfectly from ankles to my chest, but shoulder and arms around biceps are well too tight.. Hard to don and dof. Zipper is kind of bulky and to me seems to be too long for this suit size. Do you think, arms will strech a bit? or I should send it back?
thanks
Ales
Subscribed
John_giu - 9/10/2013 3:14 PM
I haven’t seen my 7mm wet suit (Mares) stretch-out in 5 years. They just don’t do that.

The sizing seems to be a moving target even with the same manufacturer over different

styles of suits. It’s seems to me that most of these things are cut a bit tight. You might try relying on

customer reviews for online sellers as far as fit goes. Many online retailers offer a perfect fit guaranty

where they might pay for or split the return cost. If you are even a bit of an athletic built you may need to go to a

large or even a XL even though you are otherwise in a standard size shirt or sport coat.

Remember a wet suit keeps you warm by fitting snugly. A very thin layer of water between the neoprene and you skin is warmed by your body heat and the closed cell foam insulates you from the water. So the suit should fit snug while not being to restricting or cutting blood flow.

If it’s just a problem with getting into a normally fitting suit there are a few tricks. A little "water soluble personal lubricant" such a KY Jelly or a generic form around the cuffs will help slip the suit over ankles and wrists. A plastic grocery bag slipped over the hands and feet also work remarkably well. Also try to get as much of your arms and legs into the suit before pulling the cuss over hands and feet. Imagine donning a full body condom. (yeah nobody uses them).

If all else fails you can get an custom fit DUI dry suit for only $3500.00.
Subscribed
Alumin12 - 9/10/2013 3:31 PM
yeah, I send it back. I did try it on like 4, 5times to see if I can move my arms a bit but i did nearly rip my hands off everytime I took it of. I have my 7 mm farmer john and Step-in jacket, so definitely know what I want from new wetsuit. So my looking for new wetsuit starts again... maybe I will really buy dry suit sooner then another wetsuit.
Subscribed
lerpy - 9/12/2013 12:49 PM
I have one of thse and love it, however the zipper broke, but it is a few years old. I like it due to the drysuite zipper that it has. I will agree its a bit of a pain through the arms and shoulders, but mine seems to fit fine and I really like it. Bare was really good with customer service over the borken zipper.
Subscribed
JamesBrown - 7/16/2016 9:43 AM
Normal Sized Bare Semidry is Tight on my Biceps. I went Up to the Next Size. Much Improved. Now I have Room to wear a 5mm Neoprene Vest Underneath. Perfect.