Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Casio device lets scuba divers converse underwater
Brian_V - 8/20/2013 11:24 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 22

Has anybody seen or better yet, tried this device:

Known as Logosease, the compact 3.8-ounce (108-gram) transceiver
attaches to the mask’s retaining straps, resting against the
side of the diver’s head. Using bone conduction (the vibrations
carried through the wearer’s skull, in other words), its microphone
is then able to pick up what the diver is saying.

Needless to say, their words are going to be a bit garbled, what
with their having a regulator in their mouth, and a blocked nose.
The transceiver incorporates “digital speech conversion technology,”
however, that is said to make difficult-to-voice consonant
sounds – such as n, m, b and p – easier to understand.

Like existing full-face-mask-based systems, the device transmits
the user’s speech via ultrasound. Those ultrasound waves are picked
up by Logosease transceivers worn by other divers, and played back
as audible speech via each unit’s integrated bone conduction-based
speaker. Users can switch between reception and transmission modes
simply by tapping the device.

The system reportedly allows divers to communicate within visual
range – a distance that could vary wildly, depending on water
conditions. The unit itself is watertight to a depth of
180 feet (55 meters), which should be plenty for most recreational
divers.

A prototype will be unveiled in Las Vegas at the Diving Equipment
and Marketing Association Show, which starts tomorrow. There is no
word yet on the availability or pricing of a commercial version.

I’d love to hear how it performed!
Subscribed
Brian_V - 8/20/2013 11:29 AM
Here’s an image of the device:

Green_Achers - 8/20/2013 11:55 AM
Interesting that the promo videos don’t really give me the feeling that I’m hearing what it really sounds like. However, this video does - I guess.
Subscribed
Greg - 8/20/2013 2:38 PM
Seems like an interesting product. I love the innovation but it just doesn’t seem usable. Speech is very hard to understand with a reg in your mouth. I suppose you could develop a cave man language with basic sounds. I wonder what the range is?
Subscribed
Brian_V - 8/20/2013 2:57 PM
...after watching the product videos, and not understanding a WORD they were saying to each other, I felt my hopes for this product disappeared faster than their bubbles!!! ...back to hand signals for the time being!!!
Subscribed
Brian_V - 8/20/2013 3:03 PM
...Hey, can they add a sub-title feature like the videos had (...without which I would have had no idea what was being said!) ...that would make it usable! ;^)
Eric_R - 8/20/2013 6:36 PM
How are you going to tell the difference between somebody talking and somebody farting?LOL
Subscribed
Brian_V - 8/20/2013 6:48 PM
...I guess you’ll have to pay attention where the bubbles are coming from?
Subscribed
zielit - 8/21/2013 6:21 AM
I haven’t seen the video yet (blocked at work) but I assume since it’s a bone conduction technology it would be only heard properly when "attached" to one’s head and when played in open air would be hard to hear/recognize anything.
Subscribed
zielit - 8/21/2013 10:19 AM
On the other hand this whole subject of talking while scuba diving is it really such a good thing? Your air consumption is increased, I personally know few divers that even if they dive with their significant others they really do appreciate inability to communicate verbally, so what is a point???
Subscribed
Brian_V - 8/22/2013 12:52 PM
...it would be a nice safety device to use with new students, they can freak out a bit when they’re experiencing an issue and don’t have the experience or composure to use hand signals effectively.
Eric_R - 8/24/2013 12:56 PM
Totally agree with zielit, Another level of difficulty not only for new divers but seasoned ones to.
Subscribed
Brian_V - 8/24/2013 4:17 PM
...just curious, progrower and zielit, are you dive instructors?
Eric_R - 8/24/2013 4:22 PM
No
Subscribed
Brian_V - 8/24/2013 4:27 PM
Not being an instructor doesn’t invalidate your opinion, I truly was just curious
Subscribed
Brian_V - 8/24/2013 4:29 PM
I definitely wouldn’t hang one of these on every student, but occasionally it would be nice to put one on a student who just seems a bit too uncomfortable
Eric_R - 8/24/2013 4:34 PM
I helped out on a couple of open water dives a few weeks ago and the visibility was about 3-5 feet. The current configuration of this device in my opinion would make the dive a little more tricky. Hands free and clearer communication would make it great. Hand signals are pretty straight forward and not up for much interpretation. Where do you do your open waters?
Subscribed
Brian_V - 8/24/2013 4:40 PM
I’ve done certain in a local lake, with viz anywhere between 30 feet to 3 feet. Also done fete dives in the sea of Cortez, with viz between 100 feet and a few feet.
Subscribed
Brian_V - 8/24/2013 4:44 PM
Occasionally a yet-to-be-certified diver gets too stressed to convey their issue with hand signals. It’s not a question of interpretation, they just don’t have the composure to communicate that way.
Eric_R - 8/24/2013 4:53 PM
If they don’t have the composure to communicate with the hand signals they were taught in class I wouldn’t think they are going to talk and make sense either. A simple thumbs up to surface is better then trying to talk over a panicky student. I don’t think they are going to take the time I saw in the video to make the tap on the device then wait then wait agian for a response. I think the concept is great but the current configuration isn’t there yet.
Subscribed
zielit - 8/24/2013 5:22 PM
No I’m not instructor, just a dive master with some exposure to learning (assistance during and after DM intern-ship). Still based on my observations and similar discussions with instructors from my shop I don’t think it’s a good idea at least for OWD.

Any other course where you deal with more advanced and already certified divers, that don’t struggle with equipment and buoyancy could be interesting. But they’re usually already OK with hand signals and given good pre-dive briefing there should be no need for such device...
Subscribed
Brian_V - 8/24/2013 5:48 PM
"...and given good per-dive briefing there should be no need for such device..."

Well, fortunately for you’ve never been on a training dive where something has horribly gone wrong. ...unfortunately for me I have, and when that happens you see things VERY differently, and I’ve got to tell you the pre-dive briefing will not come in to play at all during those moments of chaos!