Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Wet Suits and Water Temp
D2 - 9/06/2006 6:58 PM
Category: Training
Replies: 1

Aborting the dive at the first sign of the shivers is a good idea. Hypothermia is right up there with dehydration as a cause of Decompression Illness. I dive SE FL waters year round. I dive a 3mil full body suit until the water temp drops below 73, at which point I add a "chicken vest", a chest vest with integrated hood, and my 7mil short, resulting in a mishelin man 10mil situation. Please add 7lbs. My skinny cold susceptible wife dives with a 7mil hyperstretch year round. Anything between 75 degrees and 80 degress she adds a vest and hood. It wasn`t till we did a 84 degree dive recently that she admitted the after 53 minutes that she did not get cold. Huh? I was overheating. Adjust your gear for the temperature, and don`t forget to adjust your weight also.....
Greg - 11/10/2006 4:02 PM
Here`s part of my earlier post that relates to this topic:

DUI recommends the following based on the water temp: 85°+ no exposure needed, 80° - 85° 3mm shorty, 75° - 79° 3mm full or tropical drysuit, 70° - 74° 5mm full or drysuit, 59° - 69° 7mm full or drysuit, 58° drysuit.