Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Good dive shops/spots in Cancun
ouscubagrad - 8/01/2013 6:13 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 4

I’m traveling to Cancun next week with the wife and am looking for a good dive shop in Cancun...anyone have any recommendations? Also what are some good dive locations?

Any and all advice is kindly appreciated!
Subscribed
bronxdiver - 8/02/2013 1:11 AM
Try Scuba Fred, i used him in July 2011, he is a small dive shop located on the Yankee clipper property in the downtown area near coco bongo and daddy o night club if ur familiar with the area, divemasters are good. He is also an American which shocked me. Dive sites in cancun are so/so. Underwater museum is ok nothing great, the U-boat wrecks are good. I have used Aquaworld 2 times in cancun and they really are a catltle boat outfit, only plus side is their boat departs at 8am but with so many divers i was getting back at the same time as the smaller outfits that went out at 9am as most places depart in cancun at. See if you can do a trip to the Cenotes in Playa del Carmen, its worth the trip. Ive made the trip to cozumel from cancun and playa and its just not worth the time invested because they tend to pawn u off with another cattle boat outfit. Check out some stuff on tripadvisor.com
Subscribed
WarmWaterTurner - 8/02/2013 8:11 AM
This is a little off track but if you have not had the opportunity to see the Whale Sharks - DO IT! I am a total dive nut and really did not want to go out and snorkle (scuba snob) with the Whale Sharks. I was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Not to mention the schools of migrating rays that swam just below. There are lots of tours leaving Cancun. They are not cheap but worth every penny.
Subscribed
ouscubagrad - 8/02/2013 10:02 PM
Yeah I heard that about Cancun (not being the best) but my wife doesn’t dive and wanted to try Cancun this time (we went to Cozumel last time and she didn’t like the rocky beach we stayed on)...I just want to get in the water and log some dives!

I’ve never been to Cancun and really just have no idea where to start in finding a good dive shop...I really don’t want to do the long trek to Cozumel to dive...seems like it’d be a waste of time...
Subscribed
Rich-D-Fish - 8/03/2013 10:23 AM
I love diving Cancun. They key is to get on a modern dive boat with a smaller crowd and quality guide. My first couple times in Cancun I went on rickety wooden boat with no shade, full load and we burnt bad. Every time I’ve dove there I have experienced 2-6’ swells and am told that is typical. Seasick patch is a must for me. My last trip I found M.A.D. (Mayan Aqua Dive) and LOVED them. They were a small operation, with a newer modern boat. The guides seemed to know the best way to attack every reef. We watched in horror as another group hung on to the mooring line to the C58 wreck (great dive btw) and got swamped on the surface waiting for their boat to pick them up. We were dropped 150 yards up current and hit the bottom within feet of the wreck, and then drift dove to another reef a long ways down current to calmer water to find our boat waiting. I tried to look them up to include a link, but their website doesn’t seem to be listed any longer. The website was a joke anyways, but I hope they are still in business. Here is a video link from my last trip there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8ZvUXrWipo Have fun!