Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Ultimate Trailer for Hauling Scuba Diving Gear
Greg - 7/17/2013 10:23 AM
Category: Equipment
Replies: 21

Has anyone ever decked out a small trailer like this to carry scuba diving equipment? Seems like it would be really cool!

If so, please post information and pics. This one is cool, but too large for me: http://www.divebuddy.com/photo/68704/dive-trailer-side/
Subscribed
sillyfilly41 - 7/17/2013 10:32 AM
No but I want one. My Subaru Baja is actually pretty good for diving.
Subscribed
Greg - 7/17/2013 11:03 AM
What features would you expect a good dive trailer to have? Protective paint coating? Off-road tires/suspension? Rack for tanks? Storage boxes? Grill? Beer cooler?
Rich-D-Fish - 7/17/2013 11:14 AM
A good dive trailer needs to be nondescript with walls and a strong lock. Here is California I’m afraid to even put a dive sticker on my car window for fear someone will break in to steal my gear. It’s also the reason I don’t use a traditional dive bag when traveling. But if the sky’s the limit....and outdoor shower would be really nice!
Subscribed
SCUBASMITTY - 7/17/2013 1:10 PM
OUTDOOR SHOWER IS A MUST,
right next to the BBQ grill, solar pop up hard top, with canvas roll out’s, and led light’s.
portable box speakers to hang - playing jimmy buffet (OF COURSE, OR pup morse)
12v fridge, for the beer & steaks,- l.e.d. down loadable projector,& white vinyl square sheet to show off the days dive vid’s !
Subscribed
NMGoose - 7/17/2013 2:01 PM
I have a Harbor Freight "tag-a-long" trailer I pull behind my motorcycle with my camping gear in it. It would work pretty well for scuba gear as well if your not taking your whole garage. It has a "clamshell" or cartop carrier on it that is lockable. The trailer is approximately 3x4 with a 3ft tongue and is pretty lightweight (150#) empty and has 62 ci storage inside. Mine has 8" wheels on it but you can get 12" if you need a few more inches of clearance. A rack could be added to the tongue to carry a cooler. I am sure but you can probably carry 2 to 3 tanks as well as a dive bag inside. Without the tanks you could get two divebags in it with a some additional space for small items or maybe some clothes/towels, tarp, etc. I think it has a 350# max weight but that may be the load weight and not the gross weight. Obviously it would be more for a day trip or weekend. You’d have to carry your BBQ grill, etc in something else.

I paid $350 for mine a few years ago but I don’t think they are too much more than that now. Maybe $400 or so.
LatitudeAdjustment - 7/17/2013 6:22 PM
Mine’s full just carrying the surface marker :)

My wife is talking about a travel trailer and that was my first thought, an outside shower for rinsing off.
Subscribed
sillyfilly41 - 7/17/2013 9:13 PM
Billy, I think a motorcycle trailer would work lovely and what a great way to get there.
Subscribed
NMGoose - 7/17/2013 9:48 PM
Janice. I have thought about using my MC (Harbor Freight) trailer to get to our local dive site, Blue Hole (120 miles away) but haven’t done so yet. I have used it to haul my golf clubs to a local golf course and it works really well for that application.
Subscribed
RAWalker - 7/18/2013 12:20 AM
My pickup has a king cab and locking fiberglass cover so no need unless I have more than 3 buddies with me.

I have considered a box trailer set up with a small compressor but bought a bigger compressor, scuba booster, cascade and 20’ pontoon boat instead. Been thinking of a travel trailer or better a toy hauler and then add scuba gear storage to that.
Subscribed
seawolfdiving - 7/18/2013 11:10 AM
Nice Trailer... Does it come with a roof top tent?
Subscribed
Greg - 7/18/2013 11:29 AM
From seawolfdiving: Nice Trailer... Does it come with a roof top tent?
You mean like this one...

Subscribed
seawolfdiving - 7/18/2013 11:47 AM
Nice.... Where’d ya get it?
Subscribed
Greg - 7/18/2013 1:53 PM
From seawolfdiving: Nice.... Where’d ya get it?
Outlander Trailers makes these in Sheridan AZ. I don’t own one yet, just getting feedback from you all on what features the perfect scuba trailer should have.
Subscribed
seawolfdiving - 7/18/2013 2:49 PM
Tank rack, FirstAid/O2 kit, Sun shade/canopy, portable solar shower, small generator or solar panel with batteries, emergency communications, roof top tent, large cooler for "refreshments", small camp stove, rescue float and throwable line, small equipment repair kit, etc...
Subscribed
Scubadad2 - 7/19/2013 7:51 PM
The one at the top looks like a converted military generator trailer. They are not too big. You can pull one behind an old jeep (M113A1). That means you can almost pull it with a VW bug.
Subscribed
John_giu - 7/20/2013 5:18 AM
As ultimately un-cool as they are, you simply can not beat a mini van.

You can fit all the gear for multiple divers, use it as a changing area (when lake diving),

even take a nap.
Subscribed
oceanfloor - 7/21/2013 5:45 PM
I wonder if my Audi could pull that? I would luv to have a trailer but concern that my car couldn’t pull it. The manual says it doesn’t recommend I do.
Subscribed
John_giu - 7/21/2013 8:05 PM
you just need a cool Sport UT to go along with your cool sport.

Save the Audi for when you are wearing heels : )
SaintsReturn - 7/23/2013 4:21 PM
This is such a unique subject based on location and needs. Divers out of Ga have a great enclosed trailer setup where you can stand and store gear. DiveMedic trailer is awesome, but i watched him hit his head a couple of times when moving gear (sorry bud, had to point it out) and the trailer greg posted looks like it would be great for access and easy to move but good luck changing, drying or securing all of your gear. That being said, i use a four door pickup with a toolbox for light gear. It works but it is not the best solution either...
Subscribed