Join DiveBuddy.com

Meet new scuba divers, maintain a virtual dive log, participate in our forum, share underwater photos, research dive sites and more. Members login here.

Suggestions for Mexico Vacation
Mike_Bonfig - 6/24/2013 12:31 PM
Category: Travel
Replies: 8

Looking to get suggestions on an appropriate resort for a family vacation. The goal is to have a family vacation with my wife and kids (11 & 7) and get a couple of dives in in the process - this is not a diving vacation, it’s a family vaction where I’ll try to dive. And I would rather not kill a whole day getting to an off-site SCUBA shop, gearing up, then taking an hour on a boat to the site, etc. If I could get all my gear at the resort, jump on a boat right there and maybe only take a half day per dive, that would be ideal!

Criteria:

- Must be kid friendly (including ocean swimming - so no Baja Sur)

- Must be all-inclusive

- Must have "on-site" snorkeling

- Strong Preference: "On-Site" SCUBA, either excursions or even "shore dives" - even better if equipment is covered in the "all-inclusive" aspect.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Subscribed
Rich-D-Fish - 6/24/2013 4:22 PM
Sounds like you need a resort on Cozumel or Playa Del Carmen. I just don’t know of any to recommend. I always do the same family vacation in Cancun, and use the off site dive operators 10 minutes drive. I’m back by lunch time. But there is no on-site snorkeling. The closest snorkeling is a ferry ride away at Isla Mujeres. I’m sure someone will have some Cozumel suggestions soon. I will be interested to see any suggestions as this is a goal for me as well.
Subscribed
zielit - 6/24/2013 5:42 PM
Or you could try Tulum area. Reef diving/snorkeling is rather weak 3 out of 5, but you have Gran cenote, Dos Ojos or The pit almost at your doorstep. I stayed at Dreams Tulum and the resort itself was OK. Dive shop on site, but kinda low profile as most divers rather go Playa del Carmen or Cozumel (equipment available but not included). Reef dives 5 -10 min boat drive (really small boat). This one is great location for sigh-seeing though. Tulum Mayan ruins 10 min taxi drive. Coba is also not so far away and Chichen Itza a bit farther but still close enough. Actually instead of doing organized resort tour I asked

guy from dive shop to get me reliable cab from Tulum and we went on day trip to Coba and Chichen Itza at the half price what I’d pay for Chichen Itza only.
Subscribed
lerpy - 6/26/2013 7:33 AM
Did the Iberostar all inclusive on Cozumel this past winter, would go back for sure, dive operator right on the report. Really great scuba staff, boats two minute walk from room, quick rides to dive sites. Loved it!!
LatitudeAdjustment - 6/26/2013 12:29 PM
Coz is great for diving and all inclusives but not so much for beach dives and certainly not for kids to go off the beach with that current running by. The snorkeling sites are still pretty beat up from the hurricain. PDC or Tulum are more protected.
Subscribed
zielit - 6/26/2013 6:53 PM
I second that. That’s why I didn’t bother to talk about Coz since Mike asked about family vacations not diving ones. Never been to PDC but I think Tulum is better because of the things outside the resort. I personally can’t stay all the time in the resort. I personally didn’t try it out but I’ve heard these guys kick ass

http://www.rainforestadventure.com/hidden_worlds_mexico/

Close to both Tulum and PDC
Subscribed
John_giu - 6/28/2013 6:36 PM
We were in Cancun last year and it was some work getting over to Cozumel for diving.

Scorpio Divers in Cancun got me to Playa to dive with Dive Balam. If I were in Cancun

(which I wont ever be again) I would dive with Scorpio Divers.

It appears that Cancun caters to Mexican Nationals, Cuzumel in more for the Americans.

We were treated very well by Apple Vacation Staff and the IberoStar Cancun but I’m not rushing back.

If you go to Mexico Cozumel diving is a must.

Given a choice, for a Family Vacation, I would opt for Beaches Turks and Caicos, or Beaches Negril, I’ve been there.

Diving, snorkeling water skiing. all included.

Your wife will enjoy the service and relaxing on the beach and there are plenty of Family and kid activities.

And they wont feel so abandoned when you walk to the dive shop to do two to three dives a day.

Once you get over the sticker shock you’ll see it’s a pretty good value.

We have always received top shelf service from Beaches and Sandals Resorts.